Budget OEM Exhaust Upgrades

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
BIG_GREEK

Budget OEM Exhaust Upgrades

Post by BIG_GREEK »

My original plan for this car was to keep it relativity stock (atleast for exhaust). But, after research on the factory exhaust and saw that some portions are bottle necked to 1 7/8", i knew this needed to be changed.

So, I did some research on here and on the SS forums. What my plan is:
Shorty headers, SS or Camaro V8 cats, and SS mid-pipes. As far as the rear mufflers go, i was either thinking to keep stock PPV mufflers, modify to remove the "bottle necks", and keep stock looking tailpipes but enlarge them to 2 1/2". OR, go with SS mufflers and modify them to look stock.

My main goal is to upgrade from stock to a full 2 1/2" factory system for flow, also keep it looking and sounding stock (or atleast damn near as quiet), and all at the same time, increase POWWWAAAHH.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
xcidmigs

Re: Budget OEM Exhaust Upgrades

Post by xcidmigs »

Myself and numerous others have done pretty much what you are describing. I like your idea of using a SS stock muffler, it would have to be the kind without the valves, unless you have a way to work that, plus I think those are going to be $$$. Otherwise look for a complete camaro v8 stock system used, they are all over for cheap including the cat pipes which is what you really are after. I'd skip the shorty headers as they are not the real restriction, and spend the money on making the SS mufflers attach cleanly to the camaro midpipes. You could also preserve your entire stock PPV exhaust by doing this which if its in decent shape my benefit you later when no one can find a good used one and its not made aftermarket.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Thanks, i think I will be holding off on the headers for now since im not making big power. Plus, if I decide to do the shorties later, they bolt right up. I spoke with Maurice (Pursuit) the other day for about an hour, haha, and he gave me some good input as well.

So far, I scored a 2014 SS midpipe for, what I think is, a great price. Picking it up this weekend. Looking for early, or non "bi-modal", mufflers and Camaro/SS cats. And from what it looks like, the most expensive piece would be the mufflers.

BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Well I made a purchase the other day.

Picked up SS Cats and midpipe, just need the SS rear mufflers. Got them for a steal too. $260 for the set! So excited...cant wait. Ill post pics later on.

They look very similar to ours, as far as the cats and their location and where everything bolts up.

BTW longtube headers, 3" pipe, and magnaflows sound SOOOOO GOOOD.

BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Another update in this oh so active thread!! 8-) lol

Anyways, purchased a set of SS mufflers the other day for $250, average price, but local and available. Everyone else wanted 350-550 shipped and they were all from Texas. So $250 for me was fair enough.

I have vacation time coming up here soon, using it to get stuff done around the house (and by house, i mean garage). Its going to be in the mid-high 90s and not sure if ill be able to get this done, but Ill try. All I need now is the rear muffler clamps that cost $55/ea from the dealer, I get them cheaper, but its still up there in price.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

BIG GREEK, are you still running AFM?

I have SS mufflers on a otherwise completely stock PPV, and in 4-cylinder mode, there is a bit of drone/resonance that is not present with the stock mufflers, just so you're aware.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Navy Lifer wrote:BIG GREEK, are you still running AFM?

yes I do still have AFM, and I hate it. Unfortunately I dont want to mess with the computer/cam yet due to the warranty and all of the issues I run into at the dealer. Like stated above, I have the complete system from the manifolds-back. Is the droning THAT much worse? Currently it vibrates my rear view mirror and gives my butt an unwanted massage.

On a side note, i did order some Fatmat (Dynamat knockoff) for the trunk/rear floor/rear doors. Hopefully it will cut down on some roadnoise/afm drone.

cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

BIG_GREEK wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:BIG GREEK, are you still running AFM?

yes I do still have AFM, and I hate it. Unfortunately I dont want to mess with the computer/cam yet due to the warranty and all of the issues I run into at the dealer. Like stated above, I have the complete system from the manifolds-back. Is the droning THAT much worse? Currently it vibrates my rear view mirror and gives my butt an unwanted massage.

On a side note, i did order some Fatmat (Dynamat knockoff) for the trunk/rear floor/rear doors. Hopefully it will cut down on some roadnoise/afm drone.
My drone was never as bad as what you describe in stock form when the AFM kicked on. I ran about 5000 miles with the Chevy SS mufflers and AFM still enabled. It was annoying, but not too bad. I eventually got HP tuners and turned off AFM. It is really easy to do, and the car seems so much smoother when it's not hunting in and out of 4 cylinder mode.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Well I just put in knock off dynamat (Fatmat) 80mil thick in the trunk and spots under the rear seats and rear floor. Havent done a complete test ride to see a difference for AFM. A trip going down a mile down the road, Ive noticed a huge difference. Also, this was done with all of the trunk panels and spare tire out.

Hopefully next week the exhaust clamps will arrive at the dealer and soon after, the exhaust will be hung. I cant wait.

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I did the same sound deading to my trunk and rear seat area, now I've pulled the carpet and am using a DIY version of the paint for such. As you can see there is just a small dampner pad applied to the feet areas front and rear from the factory and nothing else besides the carpet matt backing.
Attachments
20170612_144554.jpg
20170612_144554.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 18469 times