DOD Delete Gas Mileage Test

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
lsxJERRY

DOD Delete Gas Mileage Test

Post by lsxJERRY »

I decided to test my gas mileage on the car so I performed a not so scientific test but should give those wondering what the mileage difference will be after you do the DOD delete.

My Vehicle Specs:
2012 9c1
165k miles
GT11 cam
Solo performance cat-back
Stock intake
Stock headers
Nitto Motivo all-season tires

Weather:

Test Route:

Test 1 (Driving on low tank of 93, cruise set @ 65mph)
After 51 miles:
Result (22.6mpg)

Roads were clear:

Test 2 (Driving on full tank of 93, cruise set @ 70mph)
After 49 miles:
Result (22.8mpg)

Last trip (with photo proof) before cam and loaded with set of tires:

I know personally I have never seen anything better than 25mpg on a previous trip to Detroit.
So a difference of 1.7 mpg (24.5 minus 22.8)

Considering the weight of the tires isn't a whole lot, i'm confident even without the tires it would have been maybe around 25mpg at best .... so a difference of 1-2 mpg.

But I'm curious as to what anyone else is getting as far as gas mileage. So if you have any numbers/pics/etc. Post them.
iboughtonetoo

Re: DOD Delete Gas Mileage Test

Post by iboughtonetoo »

You will notice it on a long trip, say 800 miles. It just adds up each tank. Where you are is very flat anyway so you will be getting optimal MPG regardless if dod is there or not. Add some hills like here and you will be lucky to hit 20.
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/W52rR3H.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

iboughtonetoo wrote:You will notice it on a long trip, say 800 miles. It just adds up each tank. Where you are is very flat anyway so you will be getting optimal MPG regardless if dod is there or not. Add some hills like here and you will be lucky to hit 20.
200 miles since this test I'm getting 19mpg and that's beating on the car (I'm talking 110+ on some lonesome stretches of road) before the trip to Speed I was getting 20mpg mixed driving city/highway. Mind you my daily commute is through South Chicago which gets congested to say the least, we don't have hills but the ramps and bridges get steep. Honestly, from DOD to cam my gas mileage really hasn't changed much at all.
iboughtonetoo

Post by iboughtonetoo »

I used to go to Chicago 2-3 times a month. You are mostly idling through it.

Highest ive hit is 25.7 but not something you can really sustain imo
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

I've been running E85 for a month or so (<$1.50/ gal at the local Shell vs just under $3.00 for premium)
Average mpg on the e85 was 13.5
Switched to Shell 93, reset the indicator and drove ~15 miles on I-94 shows 22.6
The average on 93 settled out 18-19 mixed driving
Attachments
93 octane highway mpg
93 octane highway mpg
KIMG0045.JPG (126.41 KiB) Viewed 17182 times
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

With e85 I average about 12-13, car performs better on it and it's hard not to floor it every now and then. As far as value I've been using e85 around town due to it's cheaper price (1.50 vs 2.70 for premium).
iboughtonetoo

Post by iboughtonetoo »

Local station just started carrying ethanol free fuel (2.50 @ 87). Its literally the 2nd station in 300 mile range that has that. Going to try it in the caprice tomorrow. In another vehicle I already put it in and am very happy. Fuel gauge doesn't drop like a rock now.
laz1982

Post by laz1982 »

Dear Sir,

Can you please advise how does the LPE GT11 performs?

Is it smooth on idle? Is he breaking easy on low speeds?

Is there any shaking or engine vibration ?

Please advise accordingly.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

laz1982 wrote:Dear Sir,

Can you please advise how does the LPE GT11 performs?

Is it smooth on idle? Is he breaking easy on low speeds?

Is there any shaking or engine vibration ?

Please advise accordingly.
I no longer have the car, but the Lingenfelter GT11 was a great cam for my car. I daily drove the car and had no issues with it.
Smooth on idle, it is as aggressive as you can get without upgrading your torque converter. Props of the tuning goes to Speed Inc.
Only thing I noticed was increased valvetrain noise which didn't bother me and it would tend to drop RPMs in slow bumper to bumper traffic.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Now, what Ive noticed, the computer display on fuel mileage is a couple mpg off.

My average on my display shows 19.5mpg. At (almost) every fuel fillup I calculate average 21mpg. I mean, 1.5 mpg isn't way off, but when we are in the teens/low twenties, that's a big difference.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)