It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS Dash

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
9C1fanatic

Re: It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS D

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Although the Caprice has a floor parking brake pedal, this is unique to the Caprice 9C1 and does not exist on any other Caprice market in the world that I know of. It was engineered with cost in mind so even though the pedal is on the floor, the cable routes through the center console area along with the cable adjuster no doubt to be consistent with the parking brake cable routing that would occur on a retail market Caprice that has a center console hand pull for the parking brake. when they changed to the 2014 dash, the retail cars got an electric parking brake but the police car retained the earlier designed developed for the north american 2011 Caprice 9C1.

I priced the console once new but dont have a total. It has to be ordered as a bunch of separate pieces and the most expensive piece was the main body at around $150 plus about 30 or less smaller parts to make it complete.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

SBRMD,

Answers here:

1. Did you ever price out a new console? How much, and did it come all together, or did it require a bunch of little additional parts to be complete?

A: Unfortunately they don't sell it as an assembly. I did start pricing the individual components to make the floor console and it was approaching $800. The best way to buy the floor console is to get the entire assemble from a wrecker. As discussed above, if you want to go cheap on the dash, you can just buy the dash "cover" and transplant all the PPV trim pieces over. Even the air bag covers and glove box can be transplanted over although the color will be slightly off. The SS has a darker "black" plastic, at least on mine.

2. When you removed the original "cop-spec" console, was the piece that caps the "hacked" portion of the PPV dash connected to that console, or was it a separate piece? In other words, wondering if one could leave that "cap" over the hacked part, so that even with the discontinuity, one maybe could use the SS console with the std PPV dash with looking too hacked-up.

A: The end piece is a separate piece that clips into the same receptacles that the floor console clips into so it is not likely that you can keep that piece to "gap" the PPV dash to the SS floor console. This is how the PPV "hacked" dash interfaces with the SS floor console. I actually drove it like this for a couple of weeks. If you can live with it, then this would be easiest, cheapest, and laziest solution ;)

3. Didn't completely understand about the parking brake bracket/heat duct issue: doesn't a '14-'17 car have an old-school step-on parking brake at your left foot? What's left over in the console?

A: The SS console has molded ducts that pick up the HVAC ducting behind the dash. When installed in an SS, it plumbs the hot/cold air to the back vents on the floor console so the back seats have conditioned air. This plastic ducting runs right through the PPV brake pulley bracket. You need to do two things to make it fit, 1) trim the PPV brake pulley bracket to as small as possible (about half its original length), and 2) trim the SS floor console duct to clear the (now smaller) brake pulley bracket. You will need to trim and remove the console ducting from the front of the console all the way back past the cup holders.

also, on a different but related note: are you still running the original rear door panels, or did you do something to get some stereo speakers in those?

A: I have not addressed the rear door panels. That will be part of the infotainment upgrade. The silverbox will go to Chris White for reprogramming and I'm thinking JL Audio Fix-86 DSP processor to get the time corrected signal to an amp and component speakers. I have not thought about it much though.

Thanks again for the continuing education. If you lived closer to me, would be tempted to try to hire you to do the whole trick (dash and console) over again!

A: Ya it would be fun but I'm about to start on the DOD delete and cam soon. ;)

SBRMD wrote:Silversled, have read your postings several times, may have use of your experience soon...

A few more questions:

1. Did you ever price out a new console? How much, and did it come all together, or did it require a bunch of little additional parts to be complete?

2. When you removed the original "cop-spec" console, was the piece that caps the "hacked" portion of the PPV dash connected to that console, or was it a separate piece? In other words, wondering if one could leave that "cap" over the hacked part, so that even with the discontinuity, one maybe could use the SS console with the std PPV dash with looking too hacked-up.

3. Didn't completely understand about the parking brake bracket/heat duct issue: doesn't a '14-'17 car have an old-school step-on parking brake at your left foot? What's left over in the console?

also, on a different but related note: are you still running the original rear door panels, or did you do something to get some stereo speakers in those?

Thanks again for the continuing education. If you lived closer to me, would be tempted to try to hire you to do the whole trick (dash and console) over again!
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Thanks for the detailed answers!
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Silversled, were you able to connect the harness from the SS console to the ppv? I'm curious if the connector is there.
Console Harness.jpg
Console Harness.jpg (241.64 KiB) Viewed 18311 times
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

RM96 wrote:Silversled, were you able to connect the harness from the SS console to the ppv? I'm curious if the connector is there.
Console Harness.jpg
Negative. There is no provision to connect the big connector on the PPV. I disassembled the harness to reuse the USB cable and connect it to the stock "hidden" jack to the radio. When I get more ambitious, I may connect the power jack and traction control switch but with the list of to-do's on the car, it is low on the priority.

I've also been dreaming up of using the console switch for various things like exhaust dump or Varex muffler control, etc.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Thanks! I am still accumulating the components to get my console installed. I have the console and shifter so far, waiting on a deal for an SS dash. I've thought about ordering the instrument panel you posted earlier, 92457799, but what if it's hacked like the one already in the ppv? I've emailed GMPartsDirect about it, but no reply.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

RM96 wrote:Thanks! I am still accumulating the components to get my console installed. I have the console and shifter so far, waiting on a deal for an SS dash. I've thought about ordering the instrument panel you posted earlier, 92457799, but what if it's hacked like the one already in the ppv? I've emailed GMPartsDirect about it, but no reply.
The correct instrument panel is 92277354 as indicated in the footnote of my post. The 92457799 is for the PPV and I don't know if it comes hacked from the factory.

The 92277354 number was current when I posted in January 2017. However I just checked again and for all years of SS's the p/n comes up blank with no price data. I'm concerned that with the demise of Holden, these spare parts may be the first to become un-available. You may have to deal directly with your parts department to verify if there is any national stock.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
PPV4ME

Post by PPV4ME »

Hi Silversled,

I'm almost done with my conversion but I'm having trouble getting the console to sit down completely in the back; I feel as though it's hitting the airbag module. Did you have to move yours at all? I have completely removed the ebrake system which sat over the module, so I would think it would actually be easier to fit in than yours was since you had to trim. I was trying to figure out if the SS module was in a different place than the Caprice's but haven't found an answer yet. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Collin
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

PPV4ME wrote:Hi Silversled,

I'm almost done with my conversion but I'm having trouble getting the console to sit down completely in the back; I feel as though it's hitting the airbag module. Did you have to move yours at all? I have completely removed the ebrake system which sat over the module, so I would think it would actually be easier to fit in than yours was since you had to trim. I was trying to figure out if the SS module was in a different place than the Caprice's but haven't found an answer yet. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Collin
Collin, if you completely deleted your e-brake pulley bracket the SS center console should slide on and sit correctly. Make sure you remove all of the nonessential parts from the console like the key-fob reprogram sensor and bracket and remove the wiring harness as much as possible. I didn't have to touch the airbag module at all.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
PPV4ME

Post by PPV4ME »

Silversled wrote:Collin, if you completely deleted your e-brake pulley bracket the SS center console should slide on and sit correctly. Make sure you remove all of the nonessential parts from the console like the key-fob reprogram sensor and bracket and remove the wiring harness as much as possible. I didn't have to touch the airbag module at all.
Thanks for the clarification on that. It turns out the bracket that bolts to the floor to mount the ebrake adjuster isn't allowing the console to go down all the way because I retained the vent ducting. It's held on from underneath the car with nuts just like the shifter is. If the console is gutted like you did this wouldn't be a problem, but I am going to attempt to make the vents at the back functional. Will update with pictures and progress as soon as I make some. Thanks again for the insight.
-Collin