System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
CrashTestDummy

Re: System updates

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, THAT's why I was logged off!! Oh well, it's just a forum. Server moves are not simple things to do, and even less-simple to do well. Ask me how I know.

So far, it looks fine, other than the missing stuff. No biggie, no one lost a digit, just a few bits.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

There was an entire thread titled something like "Chinese backup camera" or some such that I can't find anymore. It had good info on the cheapo eBay backup camera that snaps into the backup light assembly. I had it bookmarked and now the bookmark no longer works. The last post showed a picture from the camera and it had both sets of distance lines superimposed on the screen. It was good to know that this camera adds its own set of lines.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Not sure why it wasn't coming up as an active topic. And not sure why my bookmark didn't work (maybe I bookmarked a newer post and not the thread itself). But using the search feature found it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very strange. Or I'm having a bad day. Or both. These kinds of things can make a person go crazy! Did I dream it or was it really there?!?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Hey Eric, I do not think the Email topic reply notifications are working since the upgrade.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK, I'll check into it. Have to make sure EMAIL is working first, period :)

EDIT 4/12, 10:05 PM - It looks like the EMAIL side may not be set up correctly so I have a message into our hosting provider. Stay tuned.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

Just one or two minor updates for you, the system after several weeks appears to have transitioned to the new servers just fine, the only thing we've lost are those one day or so worth of messages in the swap time between servers, in which it appears those will be non-recoverable due to the impact on the rest of the system. Regret the loss of content, but it's apparent that it would be an extremely major effort and require a manual intervention in the forum database, this is not done lightly. Also it appears EMAIL is working correctly, if anyone sees otherwise please let me know.

Today we've activated the forum rules feature of the system to provide clarification on topics acceptable to post - as appropriate for the individual sub forums. This is contained in a easy to read bar in the masthead of the applicable sub-forums. Any question on the rules or content please contact a moderator or the system manager.

One other note - I'd like to outline our policy concerning member disputes with vendors or vendor services. This topic came up recently and was buried in a sub-forum message, so not everyone may have seen it. I'm going to just quote the post I made (in part);
As a general statement of forum policy - I do realize there are two sides to every story. However if negativity gets out of hand or into the area of defamation, either myself or the other moderators will resolve the issues pertinent to the forum. Be warned that our solution(s) may not be well received by parties involved. In a business consumer dispute, be factual, logical, and leave the vitriol at the door before you post.
Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone!

Several months back we created a beta part number index off the main site menu (not in the forum section) to index commonly used part numbers as a ready reference for ordering. Well, I finally got off my deceased posterior today and started populating the section. It has quite a way to go, however it now has live, useable material loaded. If anyone has any popular, regularly used part numbers for me you wish to have included, please send those to me via Email or PM and I'll add them at the first opportunity.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

One more item, if you're here you've figured this one out without me, but I moved the System Update topics from the general discussion forum to their own separate sub-board to give them more attention. You can watch this section for the latest updates on what's going on system-wise, any forecast outages, or anything of interest to members such as pending enhancements, etc....

Enjoy!
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

Just to let you know, we've detected that there are unfortunately still some outgoing EMAIL issues from the forum to outside email systems. I've relayed the tech details to our hosting provider, so hopefully we'll have this resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know about a system event we experienced early this morning. At around 5 AM CST today the shared enterprise data center located in the Central US which hosts the New Caprice server experienced an anomaly with part of the power system feeding the center. The root cause was a over temperature condition on a piece of supply equipment. The Network Operations Center noted critical alarms and immediately took action to protect the facility (I.E. - all power OFF) while the safety issues were being addressed. The problem was retired and the server equipment brought back on-line at appx. 1130 AM CST.

So, the net effect on us was a service outage of appx. 6.5 hours. Not only our system but numerous other systems co-located in the same data center facility were impacted. As far as I'm aware we are operating normally, this was a very low-order probability event and this is the first one of these I've been directly involved in since the 1980's. This was only the SECOND critical event for this data center in the 17 years it's been operational. Anyway, as we all know unforeseen events happen, that's why these kind of facilities have layered, monitored protective systems - which worked as designed. At least one user noted the down time to me earlier today so I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey everyone!

Just to make everyone aware, I'm currently going through the account database and doing some old account re-validation. I found 94 accounts here after research that had been made by people, but had never been posted to once and that are over one year old. So, I'm sending them an EMAIL tickler to either post, say hello to me by Oct 1 via EMAIL, or be hit with my zap gun. We have to keep things somewhat current, and I've already killed two accounts that bounced EMAIL's. Just FYI, more things we're doing in the background to provide you a quality system.

Hello!

Some time back a person at this EMAIL account joined the New Caprice forums at “http://www.newcaprice.com”. In reviewing our account statistics, this user account looks like it’s never been used and is over one year old.

Please take a moment if you’re still interested in Chevrolet Caprice PPV’s and our system to say hello to your fellow owners/users by posting a hello message in the New User section of the forums. In the interests of keeping a current system & weeding out any accounts that have been made by automatic processes (I.E. bots) and any email addresses that are no longer valid, I will be going through our user database on or about October 1, 2016 and deleting inactive accounts that are over 1 year old. If you wish to keep your account active but don’t want to post for any reason, please just drop me a return EMAIL and we’ll leave things as-is for you.

Thanks & best wishes!

Eric
System Manager
http://www.newcaprice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;