2011 PPV Auto Insurance, Emisions Test, Service questions.

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
onmywishlist

2011 PPV Auto Insurance, Emisions Test, Service questions.

Post by onmywishlist »

Hello.

I am looking into a 2011 Caprice PPV 9C1. I still have my 1996 Impala SS with 192,000 miles on it and it is getting tired.

A couple of questions. In particular for Massachusetts.

1) Anybody have any issues with auto issuance? My insurance company could not come up with the car even with a VIN. Something about it starting with a 6.

2) Getting an Inspection Sticker that requires passing an Emissions Test.

3) Getting warranty service at a GM/Chevy dealer.

4) Anybody in Massachusetts done any or all of the above?

--- Thanks, Norm.
1996 Impala SS
1989 Cadillac Allante
1977 Cadillac Seville
1969 AMC SC/Hurst Rambler SCRAMBLER - Best Car
elc32955
System Manager

Re: 2011 PPV Auto Insurance, Emisions Test, Service question

Post by elc32955 »

Hi Norm!

Welcome to the system, very glad you are considering a Caprice purchase. Just a few answers I can give you...

1) On insurance, I have Allstate and the car popped right up into the system. My wife works for a independent insurance agent here in Florida as a licensed CSR and she was able to get the car to come up through one or two other companies she quotes for. I would make sure you have the correct VIN, if you don't have luck with your insurance company with that you may need to insist their agent support team be involved with entering the vehicle into the computer system they are using to generate quotes. Worst comes to worst, nothing wrong with getting a few quotes for new insurance...

3) Not sure of where you are looking at purchasing the vehicle from, but if it's a GM dealer and they are certifying the car, you should be able to pick up the remainder of the bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years from the date the vehicle was placed into service or 48,000 miles. If they don't certify the car the warranty is 3 years, 36K miles for the bumper to bumper, 5 years/100K miles on powertrain. The dealer can pull the records on the car to find out what the in-service date was, which is the date the warranty started. Naturally if it's private sale you'd have to check with your local GM dealer on continuation of the warranty to a second owner, it should transfer over though I would think. I've been able to get warranty service so far without difficulty on my car, I just crossed 20K miles on it.

Good luck, let us know if we can help. I can't speak to emission certification since we don't do that in my area of Florida, but I know that others here might be assist further.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome Norm!

When I started the buying process I submitted the first VIN from the first PPV car I had looked at. They didn't have anything either. They started out with Cruz quantifier to provide an approximate quote, but within a week I had a quote for a Caprice PPV. My car was Certified Pre-owned from the Chevy dealership. Already have had few things warrantied. If your are buying through a dealership, can they get you the emissions certification?

Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I bought my PPV back in mid 2011. This was the first model year for the PPV. The car was too new to be in the computer system for my insurance company and inspection station (PA). The insurance company called me back in a few days and said they manually pulled the info they needed from the central office (rather than using the VIN and computer at their office) and was able to add it to my policy. Guess their software needed updating. The inspection was a similar issue. They had to fax something in to the state since their computer couldn't recognize the VIN. But it worked.

I'm sure by now the PPV has been around long enough and all of the systems should be updated.

Oh, and welcome! Glad to see you are a B-Body fan. There's a few of them around here... The Caprice PPV is about the only car worth replacing a B-Body with, IMHO. And even then, I won't ever get rid of ALL of my B-Bodies. LOL.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

The 6 just indicates the country where the vehicle is built. USA is 1, Canada is 2, those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

6 is for Australia... :-)

I bought mine brand new, and the only problems I've had are teh same ones we have all had... lack of information!

I took my car in to a dealer Saturday, to have them enable my Wireless PDIM. He wasn't able to do it (wouldn't connect through MDI), and their Tech Support isn't open on the weekends. The programming cable for the radio, EL-50334-10, didn't even show up on the GM Tech equipment site! He's getting with Tech Support today to find out more.

Plus, he happened to notice a freon leak on my A/C line... the port on the driver's side front seemed to have a small leak at the base of the port. He went ahead and ordered me a new line to replace it.

I had no problems getting my Caprice titled, insured, etc.

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
gregc

Post by gregc »

Tom Slick wrote:6 is for Australia... :-)

I bought mine brand new, and the only problems I've had are teh same ones we have all had... lack of information!

I took my car in to a dealer Saturday, to have them enable my Wireless PDIM. He wasn't able to do it (wouldn't connect through MDI), and their Tech Support isn't open on the weekends. The programming cable for the radio, EL-50334-10, didn't even show up on the GM Tech equipment site! He's getting with Tech Support today to find out more.

Plus, he happened to notice a freon leak on my A/C line... the port on the driver's side front seemed to have a small leak at the base of the port. He went ahead and ordered me a new line to replace it.

I had no problems getting my Caprice titled, insured, etc.

Later,
Tom Slick
Is it possible that PDIM just means you have a microphone? The harness that connects to the mic is present, it's just that mine doesn't have the mic.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I thought about that, but why have a microphone if you can't use it?

The kicker is the "Wireless" part... the only wireless methods for Personal Device Interface Modules would be Bluetooth or Wi-Fi...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I remember reading past discussions about this -- correct me if I'm wrong anybody -- to enable bluetooth or the phone features, I don't think it's a trivial reflash that the dealer can do. At least not yet. I'd be curious if you have a different experience.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The idea someone had about talking to the upfitters for police use (Kerr Industries, etc) may be where the answer to this resides....for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9f3h0hrE8

If anyone SHOULD know, it's going to be at that level, rather than at an "average" dealership....seems to me...was PDIM even included on the RPO list, or added at Kerr (I missed it if it's an RPO)?

I'm not clear on whether all PPV's pass through Kerr's NorCal port-of-entry facility before going to dealers, but it seems like that may be the case.

http://www.kerrindustries.com/home.asp
http://www.kerrindustries.com/pdf/current_catalog.pdf
QUOTE from last page of this catalog, in the small "fine print": All GM Chevrolet police vehicles come through Kerr before they arrive at the dealership
so you can have your vehicle upfitted prior to it arriving at the dealership.

Use Mapquest to look up the address below--a whole BUNCH of PPV's

2050 Park Rd
Benecia CA 94510

Time for Greg C to make a trip from Sacramento to Benicia and take a "recon" tour....!!!