Forum access modification

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Forum access modification

Post by elc32955 »

Howdy all!

I've made a small change in the forum system which I'm sure you will notice immediately. Please note that you now have to be logged into the forum system to see anything other then the new user intro section as a "guest" (I.E. non registered user coming in from outside just wanting to read things). This change was made for a few reasons... 1) To somewhat keep our discussion content held to these boards by cutting down on the non-registered "bots" that continually troll the system and offload the content of our posts to other sites (not to mention adding to the system loading), and 2) To encourage more registrations and participation in the system by people that are not yet members. Access is free, all you have to do is obtain a user account.

Any questions please let me know. I'm putting this up as a system announcement so everyone sees it.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Re: Forum access modification

Post by storm9c1 »

Might be good for now, but this will probably hurt in the long run. For example, it may prevent results in search engines. And that means people looking for info won't find it. I like to help people with knowledge, not hide and silo it. Just some food for thought.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

We'll watch it for a week or two and see what happens. Google I know should still be able to get in as the system recognizes it as well as one or two of the others. PM me if you want more details....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Eric, I found you on, and followed you from the G8 board. Just saying....

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OK, that experiment didn't last too long. I took a look at the forum loading this morning and in fact isolating the guest access seemed to make things worse. The dwell time on the bots increased (as they were looking for the other established sections they now couldn't see and spent more time with repeated queries), and I also found that it did lock out the real search engines from being able to scan our content. Plus I received comments from more then a few folks reminding me these forums exist based on the open exchange of information.

So, anyway, all is as it was before with one exception - I left the Lounge in protected status so if someone wanted to discuss a topic just germaine to this board and protect it from the outside world they could. Besides, the nature of the Lounge section is that some things there may not be fit for all eyes anyway.

With that said, if anyone can't see forum sections as a guest without logging in please let me know. I did check it on our test account and all seemed back to normal as far as I could tell.

Thanks
Eric