Suggestions for system enhancement/improvement

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Suggestions for system enhancement/improvement

Post by elc32955 »

OK folks, time for a little input here from the members. So far we have a good working basic system on our hands. Phase 1 is now pretty much complete, that consisted of getting the baseline forums up and running as well as the basics like the front page, files, links, etc....

Phase 2 is now coming upon us, this is enhancements to the basic system we have running today. There's a lot of things we COULD do, given some time and developer expertise. But, I'm not one to just go off and blindly construct something without some user input.

So, what I'm asking for at this point are some return comments from you, the system users with information on what features you want to see here in our system as it develops. I'll give say, two weeks for comments, then I'll go off and huddle with Bill and Rob (our developer) and Robert (our web host) and see what can reasonably be done.

Also I'd like some ideas from y'all on how we should present and carry the system forward to other venues now that it's running. As you know, advertising is life. We need to look at things like how we get the system name/URL to other people, etc.... One idea I had was to produce up a small Youtube video that people will see everytime they search things like "Caprice PPV", etc.... We have one member right now (Troutman) that has a Facebook account up supporting the WM Caprice, in addition I've seen a few other Facebook account hits dealing with the Caprice, but nothing in substance. Personally I don't have a Facebook account, but if it ads value to the system I can get one in the name of the system to help promote it. Same way with Twitter, etc.....

Anyway, it's a good point for some discussion. I firmly believe in a participative system with member involvement, so that's why I decided to bring this request to you at this point. Besides, over the years I've seen too many examples in my previous govt. employment of people being very myopic with respect to projects (I.E. the old "can't see the forest for the trees" thing...), and it always helps I believe to get an outside, non-developer perspective.

Thanks!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Suggestions for system enhancement/improvement

Post by Pursuit »

Eric, thanks for getting this forum going. I remember looking at it when it was just an index of topics, but no posts. Way to hang in there and make this available to us.

I have some thoughts to expand our exposure. I have visited some of the up fitting/ supplier sites looking or any info that I could just to satisfy my curiosity of PPV Caprice. Can we "attach" to the Whelens, the Kerr Industries, the Galls and provide a path back to us? And this can go both ways. Provide links to the before mentioned companies.

Provide links to GM's Fleet sites and promotional info.

What if we also seek the out the professional law enforcement sites that officers, fleet managers and the enthusiasts amongst them?

In another post/forum you discussed reaching out to a resource at GM, great idea! A Brand manager would be a great point of contact. They could point us to the tech, styling and marketing points of contacts. I would assume some might possibly be in Australia.

We also have to realize that we are in a very niche market. Not only defined by the number of enthusiasts, but by technology (electronic and Zeta platform differences). The similarities between the G8, Caprice, SS, Camaro and the Holden family of cars makes for a lot of confusion. The latest revisions/upgrades of ECU's, BCM's, powertrains, suspensions, brakes, etc are not necessarily released or used across the different Zeta Platforms.

Putting together and making available the tech resources to everyone can be a double edged sword. The more info you provide the more questions are generated. If we can't answer a question or provide a resource for the answer it might magnify a person's frustration with our community.

Thanks,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Bump!

I'm closing this topic sometime on Monday evening. We'll take any suggestions given, and sometime after I return from my roadtrip have some collective discussion between the system management, web host, and the developer and figure out from that point how best to move forward.

Any suggestions, comments, etc.... please speak now.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

The only mechanism that I really want on a forum is a search capability. Forums tend to acquire tremendous amounts of information over the years, and many forums to which I belong only have mediocre search capability.

The other thing I would suggest is to make sure that the forum can be exported for backup and recovery. And back it up often! I've seen too many forums with a wealth of information crash and burn and the valuable data is lost forever. Ask your hosting provider to test your backup in a sandbox to make sure your backups work!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Thanks for the input that was received. We'll consider all of the suggestions and proceed forward sometime in the next 30 days... As always, EMAIL or message me with any suggestions you may have as we move along. Barring a few speedbumps we've actually done well so far with the initial system turn-up. Also I had a very nice face-to-face with Bill today, it was good to finally meet another board user in real life!

Thanks
Eric