PPV as a daily driver or family car

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
keherrington

PPV as a daily driver or family car

Post by keherrington »

I've owned my 2012 PPV for a year now and have put about 14000 miles on it. After the initial oil use problems (that I shared with you all on this forum) the car has been a trouble free car in all respects, save for the minor recalls that GM has put out. I've been getting about 19mpg on average (country road and highway combined). This has turned out to be the best car I've ever owned. Its performance is fantastic, its great on trips and carries a boat load of stuff when necessary. I love it.

I'm curious what others' opinions are regarding its use as a daily driver or family car, not as a performance vehicle.

Keith
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: PPV as a daily driver or family car

Post by smwalker »

Although I love the handling I would trade some of that for some softer ride characteristics. Just a bit stiff sometimes. Wondering how the caprice Royal rides and if I could import some of those pieces!

Just getting old I guess. ;)
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Even though I have made some performance mods the PPV is my go-to car for long trips. I would agree with the stiff nature of the car, but this is not my first patrol vehicle. I expected it and sought it out for that reason. The stiffenss is not a problem for me but passengers will comment on the "harshness". In the past I would build a car with more horespower, bigger brakes, sway bars and stiffer spring rates. The Caprice had all of that and with a warranty! I still enjoy the ride, everytime I take it out for a drive.
I am changing the front struts and all four springs tomorrow to the 2012+ front struts and the 2014 SS springs. I will let everyone know how that affects the ride quality.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

I've put about 25,000 miles on mine in daily use, with two car seats in the back for my now 7 and 6 year-olds, and it's been fantastic. The perfect vehicle for a car-guys Dad with a couple of rugrats. And my two little perps can't get into any trouble back there: disabled windows and door handle, no map pockets, map lights or coat hooks, etc. It's perfect.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I think the Caprice PPV would make a great daily driver. Sure there are some compromises, but aside from bringing back the B-Body, every car on the road is a compromise of some sort these days, IMHO. Either you compromise performance, handling, ride quality, options, reliability, or even the price tag. It's hard to find a cheap car with all the features and characteristics we want. For me, the PPV meets more of my "must have" criteria than any other new car on the road for the price. The Dodge Charger is the next best thing, and it's a close comparison for a daily driver, but I'd rather have a LS than a Hemi, just sayin.

The suspension on the PPV seems to ride more like a European/Japanese car, since the strut setup is more like those. Case in point: a friend of mine from Europe drove my PPV and claims it handles exactly like a European car should, and he thought the suspension was just right for the size of the car compared to the German and Japanese cars he has owned. He said he wouldn't change a thing. Whereas I think it is too harsh and noisy compared to my cushy B-Bodies (which he hates, LOL).

I still drive B-Bodies everyday for a reason. But having a fleet of 20+ year old cars is quite a bit of maintenance to keep up with. If I were driving a Caprice PPV everyday (which some day I will when my B-Bodies are no longer sustainable), I think the ride quality issues could be fixed starting with tires. I'd even consider finding SMALLER rims so I could put on larger sidewall tires (I know, what a tragedy!). Just running my tires at 34-35psi makes me happier. So I think tires and wheels are a big factor with the harshness. Next I would see if other suspension options are available, perhaps from AU.

As it stands now, I use my Caprice PPV for vacations and sometimes towing a small boat. It's a reliable car for these functions, and sans buying a new truck or SUV (which is going to ride and handle worse), it's a good family car. I'd never feel safe towing a boat behind a FWD passenger car like Toyota, Honda, Mazda, VW, Kia, etc. And you'd probably never find a class III hitch for any of those either.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
SuperDutyDave

Post by SuperDutyDave »

So far my caprice has been flawless. No issues.

I'm a big guy 6'5" 245lbs. Think Howie Long. First car I can drive comfortably and still have a real adult sit beind me. A true sedan should comfortably accommodate 4 real size adults and still have a good trunk......caprice does this

Only complaint I have is road noise.....car could use a little more sound deadening My 2015 Siverado is much much quieter

Other than that the car is pretty damn good all around rig

Ps couldn't be the price as a 2013 leftover too. ;)
Dave AKA "SuperDuty"

2013 9C1 Caprice PPV

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500-HD 4X4 ext-cab

2009 Deere 5525 4WD Full Cab Tractor

2010 Harley Davidaon Road Glide

Tax Payer Paid Chevy Pickup and 400 HP Patrol Boat
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I bought my 2012 in January of this year with just over 100k on it. It's now about to roll 110k, so yeah, mine gets driven every day. It's perfect for what I do, and when something breaks, I'll just upgrade and keep going.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

I love the B Body also but this new Caprice is the best DD vehicle I have ever owned. As stated earlier, there is nothing else close to it in the market for the price. Even price aside, this is one of the largest cars you can buy anywhere. The ride and road noise is a compromise for reduced cost and superior vehicle dynamics. Tires, bushings, unibody construction, and lack of additional sound deadening material affects this. I may add more sound deadening one day but will not soften the suspension or go to any tire that does not equal or exceed the factory Goodyear RSA specifications. Some might disagree but the seats in the Caprice are great, the ride is stiff but not uncomfortable and I would think that the more miles you drive in a given vehicle (such as a daily driver) the more important good brakes and superior handling should be to a driver.

Love this car!
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

Ya, as soon as I started driving my new Caprice, it turned from "I'll buy it and make it a weekend sleeper fun car" kind of idea, into my daily driver with occasional autocross.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I have made a couple of performance upgrades on my car but it is still used as a daily driver; as well as show car, cruise-in car and occasional drag car. :-)

Other than the 91-96 B-Bodies I can't think of a better all around car, and since those are twenty years old I'll be keeping my 2011 Caprice.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens