Got my Ignition Recall Letter yesterday...

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Tom Slick

Got my Ignition Recall Letter yesterday...

Post by Tom Slick »

I finally got my ignition recall letter yesterday...

Says they don't have the parts for it yet... no matter, I got rear-ended last week, so I'm not driving it right now anyway!

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Got my Ignition Recall Letter yesterday...

Post by elc32955 »

OUCH! Are you OK? Need the number for Whiplash Levine? Oh, never mind... he's got a GPS locator for the ambulances now, he doesn't have to go off sirens anymore :)

I received my letter as well.... not that we can do anything about it right now. What is also interesting is GM is actually enforcing the no-sale order on Caprices. A friend of mine that owns a security company wanted a pair of black matching Caprices for use for dignitary protection in South Florida. Well, Liberty Chevy in Buffalo NY is running a good sale on two 2013 9C1 leftovers with 6.0's. Both cars were a single order cancellation with like 20 miles each on them, advertised for $24,995. He called them wanting to buy both the cars on the spot, Liberty wouldn't sell the cars even though they were continuing to advertise them. They said January at the earliest.... maybe longer....

If they really enforce the ban then next month's Caprice sales figures should be a resounding "Zero"...
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

I got my letter yesterday also . But what made no sense to me was the fact that was no fix for the problem . So what use was the letter ? But then again what do I know . Hope everything works for you and your car .
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I just received this one as well, last week was the shifter recall. I am not worried about the ignition recall as I do not have a million keys on my ring. Just the house key and glove box key, so there is no weight on the ignition as to what this primary issue is.
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

I used to have a post, here.

;)
Dan Meagher

Post by Dan Meagher »

only difference in the new keys GM has rotated the blade 90 degrees
I will post pic when I get a chance
2013 9c1 6.0
2012 Silverado
2000 HD Deuce
dmeagher@nedda.com
Dan Meagher

Post by Dan Meagher »

here is the new key vs old key
Attachments
new keys.jpg
new keys.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 15626 times
2013 9c1 6.0
2012 Silverado
2000 HD Deuce
dmeagher@nedda.com
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

Interesting.

It was described to me, today, as being a separate key from the fob.

I hope you're right. I could live that, but I can't accept a separate key from the fob. Especially, when so many current cars have push button ignitions with just a fob.

I'll find out, for sure, in February.

I thought it was going to be more like this:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/gen ... all-video/
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

After I picked up the PPV from body shop on Thursday, I went directly to the dealership service drive, less than a mile up the street (the odometer read 35895 when it went into the collision center)--just wanted to see if there were any things that I had overlooked as far as active alerts other than the key thing. I've had no real warranty issues since buying the car over 2 years ago....knock on wood! The question I got first was "what kind of car is that?" Amusing, to say the least--and I told them I bought it there. Once they understood what it was, it was fun to banter with them. Heads turning and LOTS of stares by employees walking through the service drive, too.

Big smiles for me, inside & out.

The service writer explained to me that it was going to be a separate key/fob deal. They didn't have the key cutting head to do the keys, but it's at least documented, and they're going to call me when the new keys can be made. Obviously, the photos above seem to contradict what the dealer says.

No matter, as we're using those evil flip-keys right now, and I'm not giving those up to the recall.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Are you sure the new sideways key actually has a fob in the "handle" portion? My wife had flip keys for her 2014 Camaro SS and for her recall they removed the flip key blade and gave her a separate key that looks very much like the picture above, no controls in it, and her old flip key fob minus the key blade.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens