Headlight bulb upgrades

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
bsparks72

Re: Headlight bulb upgrades

Post by bsparks72 »

The H9 bulb is a no-go as a replacement for the H7 high beams unfortunately. As you saw, they are totally different bulb bases and connectors. I'm not sure if there is a viable upgrade to the high beams. I've seen the "high end" LED bulbs, but I don't think they have the throw in a reflector housing, and they're expensive.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
Dino

Post by Dino »

I have recently just installed a set of LED light bulbs for the low beams in the projector housing and I can tell you that they are a huge disappointment. The LEDs are bright as can be but in the projector housing it just scatters the beam, creates shadows and majority of the hotspot is hitting the ground about 10 to 15 feet in front of the car. I've clocked them at different angles and nothing seems to work so I'm going to swap them over into my Tahoe which has a reflective lens. I absolutely hate project headlights and if there was an option for the reflective lens I would swap out the headlights in the second.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, I have a set in both low and high beams in our Caprice, and I'm really liking the improvement over the halogens that were in there. My wife's jealous!

Word of warning for the Tahoe. Depending on exactly which LED assembly you got and depending on the year Tahoe you have, you'll be needing to cut a fair amount of the radiator support structure out of each side to get the LEDs to just fit.

Some of the LED modules that have the heat sink strips may fit, but the ones with the little fan assembly on the back are a no-go.

My specific experience is with the Opt-7 low beams and a 2010 Tahoe PPV.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?