Gas UNL88

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Car54

Gas UNL88

Post by Car54 »

Stopped off to fuel on my way home. The gas station has unl88 fuel. Did a quick read on it. Has higher ethanol in it, however better fuel economy and to me throttle response. It was less expensive by nearly .25 cents a gallon.

Any comments on this stuff, seeing about 3mpg better since I filled up.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Gas UNL88

Post by Pursuit »

Alcohol as a fuel requires about twice as much volume to create the same amount of thermal energy. When I put E85 in my cars the fuel economy drops. It costs less per gallon, but the MPG was less. It's kind of a trade off. I kind of look at as it will take "X" amount of thermal units (BTU's) of energy to travel, say 100 miles. It would take more alcohol to travel the 100 miles versus gasoline.
Our cars (and any E85 capable vehicles) are equipped with larger injectors to accommodate the higher flow rates attributed with using an ethanol based fuel. The fuel systems are equipped with octane and alcohol sensors to adjust the fuel flow rate and spark accordingly.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof