One got through....

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

One got through....

Post by elc32955 »

Hey folks,

Well, despite our best efforts a spammer got through. In this case the account was created in March, 2017 and on looking at the initial post it seemed to be a legit one-post new user that was using Comcast as an ISP. However... things do happen. As soon as I saw the garbage post (yeah, I was up at 4 AM) I initially suspended the account and deleted the bad post, but I couldn't get rid of the links created via keyword so I just zapped the entire account. There were only 4 views on the post, hopefully the user wasn't spewing PM's.

This could have been a case of external system takeover of a validated user (I.E. someone got into a legit users PC and started showering all of the contacts/systems with ilk), after reading the initial post from the user then the garbage post it looks like it might be the case. In this instance there's not much of a defense that we can mount against this sort of activity - it could happen to any one of us. SO.... just a few reminders....

* Make sure your system has current anti-virus and malware protections active.
* Change passwords often.
* Scan your system routinely for any bad actors & kill the same immediately if found.
* If you note your system radically slowing down for no good reason, check it & manually scan for takeovers. Quickly.
* Be aware that phishing attempts abound daily, I see routinely six to eight coming in each day via EMAIL.

Myself and the other administrators go above & beyond to insure this is a bug-free system and that all prospective users are properly vetted, however there is always the occasional exception that occurs when you least expect it. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Re: One got through....

Post by Mooseman »

Bah, stuff happens. Another forum I'm a mod on has pretty good spam protection but once in a blue moon, one slips by and even makes it look like a legit post. One thing that actually is annoying is that it will trap legit posts for no good reason and make it wait for approval.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419