Suggestion NOT to use

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Car54

Suggestion NOT to use

Post by Car54 »

Forgive the rant here, but if you use Safelight auto glass cause that’s what your ins co recommends & is in their network, 1 word…. Sorry.

I just had the windshield replaced on my Caprice, not… as mobile service… but to one of their “offices” here in the Lehigh Valley. I sat & waited for it.

1. Had to take it back to them after 1 day cause it was leaking like sieve passenger top and dead center top. NO CAR WASH, opened & closed doors with front door windows partially open.
In the process of removing the brand new windshield stoner boy cracks the windshield. They don’t have a replacement, so I have to leave the car there for 2 days cause it’s now unsafe to drive.

2. The 2nd windshield apparently was the wrong one & didn’t quite fit properly. Huh???

3. Stoner #3 or 66 don’t know or care puts in the 3 windshield. In the process cracks the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield drivers side. &&& breaks the edge of the windshield inner trim on the passenger side & couldn’t find the broken piece so he puts a screw in thru the trim thru the door gasket seal!

4. They blatantly tell me that these things happen and they will Gorilla glue both pieces back together after all it was a police car. F-in insane moronic staff and personnel.

The ORIGINAL windshield was in the car until the bolt off a work truck shattered the glass slightly right of center passenger side, let’s say center vent right of the radio. I did get the vehicles info, plate, color name of business on the truck. Gave it up my insurance to figure it out.

I wanted to just replace it without insurance but holidays have stretched the wallet a bit.

It’s simply idiotic to have to deal with sheer stupidity. To have to leave the car there for 2 days and deal with this is just flipping nuts.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Suggestion NOT to use

Post by elc32955 »

Wow. Well, like any other sub-standard service activity... pictures, document, narrative, executive escalation.

I'd light your insurance company right up with the tale of this vendor's misdeeds. And file a supplemental claim for the damage caused directly by their vendor. Your car is an imported collector's car no matter how it was used previously. I wouldn't tolerate this for one second.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

I installed windshields for a few years and that does not routinely happen at all. Sometimes windshields do not seal due to the handing process of them before the installation company receives them. But it is their job to inspect everything before installing. Also, a BIG trade secret is how you run the bead for the sealant to insure a full and proper seal. Where I leave safelight is a joke and did not pay well. My old employer would recruit the good ones all the time.
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

TYVM for saving me from making a big mistake! It was between Safelight and another independent shop used by local agencies in my area. I went ahead and acquired new reveal moldings. 2-piece cowl was replaced last year, when I replaced the wiper arms.
Car54

Post by Car54 »

My insurance company not named but uses the “like a good neighbor” theme has gotten an earful.

Thankfully my local agent is great, I have been with them for auto/home for the past 17 years. He didn’t use my deductible on the glass and gave me a 30% discount on the Caprices insurance for the full year.

I didn’t use the rental car option as I have 2 other vehicles, ‘97 Buick Lesabre and my ‘14 Tahoe SSV. He also gave each vehicle a 10% discount for them for the year.

They are also getting me another cowl piece and will give me funds towards the A pillar replacement.

Safelight… bubkuss. I have filed a complaint to the BBB and local business commerce against their inefficient workmanship.