AFM

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Brent50

AFM

Post by Brent50 »

hello, new to the site..question..I have a huge vibration in 4 cylinder mode..I'm guessing I can buy the ranger to turn off the AFM ...BUT what is really going on??? is this causing engine damage?? wth...thanks
Mooseman

Re: AFM

Post by Mooseman »

That is unusual. In V4 mode, it's hardly felt except maybe a little during the switch back and forth. It usually fails when it comes back to V8 mode and a lifter fails to come back and stays collapsed. There could be a reverse failure where the lifter fails to collapse when commanded or a solenoid in the VLOM has failed and not sending oil pressure to collapse it. I can't tell you if it's bad to leave it like this and just disable AFM because I haven't seen this type of failure before. If it were me, if it runs fine in V8 mode, I'd just disable AFM.

I'd get a tune instead of the Range. It's permanent and don't have to worry if it's unplugged.

And until you do get a Range or tune, you can unplug the vacuum sensor on the brake booster to disable AFM. You'll get a CEL and code for it but at least you'll know about it.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419