Can’t remove key from ignition

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
DapperDanMan

Can’t remove key from ignition

Post by DapperDanMan »

I was originally hoping that it was just a product of the battery being toast that was preventing the key from being removed, but that does not appear to be the case.
The key turns fine to start the car, but it doesn’t turn all the way back to turn the car completely off and remove it (hence the trashed battery).
I’ve found a lot of YouTube videos about various GM and Holden cars with this problem, but can’t find anything specific to this exact key cylinder and ignition.
Is there a manual release in there for the key?
What is the most likely cause here? Should I just order a new lock cylinder?
2015 Caprice 6.0
lastcall190

Re: Can’t remove key from ignition

Post by lastcall190 »

Funny. This problem just started to pop up on mine. I find that if I pull shifter from park, then put it back into park, it comes out. Annoying AF considering I put the car up for sale literally the day after it happened. The mechanic who put in the rack seemed to be very familiar with the issue, thankfully. I'll update this thread if I find anything
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

That was something else I read, that it could be related to the part safety switch.
I’m wondering if that might be the case since my key turns freely and most people with a bad key cylinder just can’t turn the key.
I’m going to take the console apart later today.
2015 Caprice 6.0
73TA

Post by 73TA »

When I took the shifter cover off and disconnected the two switches to swap the cover with my parts car my key would not come out. Is soon as a reconnect the switches I was able to remove the key. Check the switches/connectors.

Mike
2011 Caprice
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Which switches did you disconnect? The wiring harness there has a traction control switch and another switch next to it, and then underneath it has a switch that appears to make contact when the shifter is in park, and a solenoid that moves a lever not allowing the car to be taken out of park until the brake is pressed.
2015 Caprice 6.0
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Do you know if your car has had the shifter recall done?

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=626

full worksheet for perfoming the recall:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-nHwQ ... VXWk0/view
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

I don’t know for sure if it has been done, but my shifter has the white inner plastic stick that they put in in the pictures, not the black one that looks like the original.
2015 Caprice 6.0
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Got the key out but it’s not “fixed”. I took the dash and steering column apart and manually pulled the little metal pin out on the key retention solenoid, and the key turned and came out freely, so it’s not the lock cylinder.
I get about 0.2v on the plug that goes into it while the car running, but nothing when I turn it off.
Not sure how that is supposed to work or what the voltage should be.
Also, with that solenoid unplugged, there is a message in the cluster that says “stabilitrak system fault (or error or something of the sort)”.
I ordered a new solenoid and will see how that works
2015 Caprice 6.0
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Diagram for shifter interlock if you have not found it already:

https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662770.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Thanks!
I went ahead and signed up for 12 months of alldatadiy to get all the wiring diagrams.

So after tearing the dash apart, tracing everything as best I could and testing voltage at various connectors, and pouring over the wiring diagrams, I have to report that I feel really dumb.
Swapped the accessory relay (Instrument panel R8) with the driver door unlock relay (IP R6) and my key comes out of the ignition now.
Oddly enough the driver door still unlocks, some of the time.

I don’t fell as bad as I could though since the fleet maintenance at the city of Deer Park TX are the ones who started tearing the steering column apart, leading me to believe that is was a more complicated issue than it actually was.
2015 Caprice 6.0