Can’t remove key from ignition

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Can’t remove key from ignition

Post by smwalker »

Have you looked at that pin in the shifter? Someone on FB just reported he had the same issue and the pin had just walked back away from the switch.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

smwalker wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:38 pm Have you looked at that pin in the shifter? Someone on FB just reported he had the same issue and the pin had just walked back away from the switch.
Yes, my shifter pin was good. I think my car might have had that recall done already which replaces that pin.
It turned out to be a bad relay. Now I am waiting on a replacement from Rockauto, I swapped it with the driver door unlock relay and it worked.
2015 Caprice 6.0
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Did something on your window switch not work also when they key was not working??

As you see the other function that works off that relay is for with Window.door lock switch. Have to look what function that controls.

https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662752.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ahh here it is! Circuit 343 is accessory power for the door mirrors! SO if your key wont come out:
Check the power mirrors

IF power mirrors work - Then the Relay is good and it could be the fuse F16, solenoid in the column or Shifter switch or shifter pin moved over.

IF they do not work - Then the relay is bad.

Diagram of Other circuit off Relay K80
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662621.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

That is correct, power mirrors did not work. For some reason I think that the trunk release did not work either.
Now everything works except for my power door unlock, because that’s the relay I swapped with the accessory relay to see if it was bad.
smwalker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 pm Ahh here it is! Circuit 343 is accessory power for the door mirrors! SO if your key wont come out:
Check the power mirrors

IF power mirrors work - Then the Relay is good and it could be the fuse F16, solenoid in the column or Shifter switch or shifter pin moved over.

IF they do not work - Then the relay is bad.

Diagram of Other circuit off Relay K80
https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662621.pdf
2015 Caprice 6.0
MonteC

Post by MonteC »

So this happened on a car with a swapped g8 shifter. Not sure how the early 9c1 shifter is set up but I bet it's similar. 14 and up ignore.

Seller told me the key started to get stuck in the ignition and when I picked it up it was fine. We tested it a few times. Of course after I take off it gets a million times worse. Lol.

But that's good. Intermittent issues are tough. When it constantly acts up it's easier to figure out

Here is what I found. On the shifter is a micro switch for they release. There is a park interlock solenoid and a key release switch. Two different items.

A pin runs horizontal through the shifter and contacts the switch. It looks like the pin backed out and stopped contacting the switch. I manually manipulated the switch and the problem resolved.

All I had to do was literally push the pin back into place with my finger. Fixed!
Attachments
PXL_20201017_205630095~2.jpg
PXL_20201017_205630095~2.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 7389 times
PXL_20201017_205642664~2.jpg
PXL_20201017_205642664~2.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 7389 times
MonteC

Post by MonteC »

Fixed.
Attachments
PXL_20201017_210009612.jpg
PXL_20201017_210009612.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 7389 times
MonteC

Post by MonteC »

Likey the sifter is worn out where the pin goes. So I'll keep tabs on it and see if it moves again. If so I'll epoxy it in place later.
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

I'm thinking this must be the problem with my 2011 9C3. Is there a thread on how to remove the trim on a 9C3 to get in there to see what's going on? I have starting problems and sometimes key removal problems. Ignition was replaced under warranty (just based on me telling them it would take 2 or 3 tries to start it sometimes), but that didn't fix the issue.
MonteC wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am So this happened on a car with a swapped g8 shifter. Not sure how the early 9c1 shifter is set up but I bet it's similar. 14 and up ignore.

Seller told me the key started to get stuck in the ignition and when I picked it up it was fine. We tested it a few times. Of course after I take off it gets a million times worse. Lol.

But that's good. Intermittent issues are tough. When it constantly acts up it's easier to figure out

Here is what I found. On the shifter is a micro switch for they release. There is a park interlock solenoid and a key release switch. Two different items.

A pin runs horizontal through the shifter and contacts the switch. It looks like the pin backed out and stopped contacting the switch. I manually manipulated the switch and the problem resolved.

All I had to do was literally push the pin back into place with my finger. Fixed!
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

When my battery was dying my car took multiple tries to start. It was intermittent, and all the accessories worked when it wouldn't start. Might want to check that out.

To remove the trim, you should be able to get the front end of the piece up, near the pocket up front, and pull it up and there's 8 or so plastic clips holding the trim on

Be gentle, I've broken plenty of the clips in my caprice and on a g8