What did you do to your Caprice today?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
bstoner

Re: What did you do to your Caprice today?

Post by bstoner »

WasonJinn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:15 pm One step closer to un-policing the car today.

Got some tires on the new to me camaro wheels and threw them on! Needs a wash now....

Caprice Wheels2.jpg
Caprice Wheels.jpg
Love it! Looks identical to mine. Even with the black streaks from the door handles! LOL
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

65 Z-16 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:27 pm s/c'd cav,
many thanks for the clarification. It's becoming apparent that 1)"direct bolt-in" is subject to interpretation, and b) 1 needs to be aware of and picky when it comes to the many variations available between models and years. There's alot of good info on the subject right here on our forums; perhaps too much for my few remaining brain cells, lol!
Look for a 2010 to 2015 Camaro V8 auto. It will have the 3.27. They are very common and easy to find. The 3.45 comes out of the V8 manual and they are a little harder to find. Not as common and go for a higher price. Either one bolt right in and just need to reprogram for the gear change. Lots of info on the forum here on it. I have a 3.45 and love it. I think it is the perfect gear. It is not overgeared or too much gear. If I did more highway or concerned about mpg I would probably run 3.27. Either one is a huge improvement.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
WasonJinn

Post by WasonJinn »

bstoner wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:05 pm
WasonJinn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:15 pm One step closer to un-policing the car today.

Got some tires on the new to me camaro wheels and threw them on! Needs a wash now....

Caprice Wheels2.jpg
Caprice Wheels.jpg
Love it! Looks identical to mine. Even with the black streaks from the door handles! LOL
Ha! I was wondering if that is what was causing the streaks! Time to start looking for some G8 handles I guess! That and a trunk spoiler!
JKowalski

Post by JKowalski »

New to the forum and the 2015 Caprice is new to me. Today I changed the oil and filter, new air filter, cabin filter, washed windows, pulled wheels and checked brakes, flushed brake fluid with new fresh DOT 4 fluid, changed rear diff fluid with AC Delco 75/85, adjusted tire pressures, pulled rear door panels and attached the rear door handle control cables, changed all 8 spark plugs and wires.

Ordered a set of rear door lock control arms, from TASCA, I hope they can still fill that order.

Car runs smooth and is ready to drive.

Tip: Anytime you are removing the spark plug wires there is a risk that the spark plug boot may be fused to the spark plug porcelain body. Out of the 8 spark plugs changed, 6 had fused spark plug boots, 2 I was able to break loose and 4 I had to destroy the spark plug wires in order to pull the boot off. It was not fun to break those fused spark plug boots off.

Don't even CONSIDER changing spark plugs without changing the spark plug wires.

The bad news, my car was outfitted with 6N5 rear window switches deactivated. The cost to activate those switches may not make sense.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

This update made me finally post on the forums. :D
I added ventshades to my 14 V6. I love these for rainy spring days!
My close up pics don't want to load off my phone. I'll try to add them from my PC later.

I've also added a cheap armrest and a passenger seat organizer I got off Amazon. I have a cheap cupholder console I haven't put on the rail yet.
Attachments
IMG_20220505_193213785.jpg
IMG_20220505_193213785.jpg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 1934 times
Stingroo

Post by Stingroo »

Met up with a forum member who I found out lived local to me and got a new grille and rear badge. Totally changed the car.

Really happy with it. Need to get the fog light grilles next. Already got the side trim on order from down under. ;)
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Finally got some different rims for her. Holy crap are they lighter than the steelies! Feel twice as light almost.

Had to run 5/16 spacer to clear front brembos but so far everything is normal.
Attachments
P_20220510_155209~2.jpg
P_20220510_155209~2.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1863 times
P_20220510_165229~2.jpg
P_20220510_165229~2.jpg (5.06 MiB) Viewed 1863 times
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Well, today was fun. Retuned (actually detuned) the Caprice trying to figure out the problems with the tranny. Took it for a quick rip and seemed to be better shifting but the TCC is still acting weird. Mrs. Moose had been painting the pool deck so decided to get us some chicken and rib dinners. Took the Caprice to drive it some more and see how it shifts. About 10 minutes out and I get a check RF tire pressure message. Sure enough, had a flat. Problem was that the spare was the original 18" and with the Brembo brakes, it doesn't fit in front so I had to put the spare on the back and move that 19" one to the front. Jacking the car twice with the gawd-awful original jack just sucked. Good thing I put in a tire cross. Man it was squirelly with that crap Eagle RSA so I just took it back home and got the Sierra. Still got dinner, just an hour late.

One of those rims already had a bend that loses air and with 3 of the tires worn, time to replace the whole lot. I had already found a set of Camaro 20" rims and a set of tires to put on them, some General GMax 245 35R20. Just got to figure a way to get the sensors out of the current wheels myself. At least I won't need the spacers anymore in front because of the Brembos.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Mooseman,
What was causing the rub on the Brembo's? My stock steel rims cleared the front Brembo's. Was it the brake pad tabs?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

No, the spokes actually hit the calipers. These were not actual Chevy/GM wheels. I believe they were BMW wheels that a guy was using on his Camaro for winter tires. You can see them in my build thread before and after being powdercoated. viewtopic.php?t=2419

I really liked them, looked good on this car. In the end, the Camaro wheels will fit better.

Edit: The 18" steelies didn't fit on the front because of the squealer tabs so yeah, I can't use 18" on front. Used spacers on the front for the spoke contact issue.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419