Airbag code help needed

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
shawnjon82

Airbag code help needed

Post by shawnjon82 »

So I fixed this code by replacing the whole seat out with an extra one I had. I would really like to know exactly what piece specifically I need to replace to make my other seat good again
Attachments
BED293E4-0E7F-4CF0-B182-331495A6BE72.jpeg
BED293E4-0E7F-4CF0-B182-331495A6BE72.jpeg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 4029 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Airbag code help needed

Post by smwalker »

# 6 is the part it's referring to:
Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 2.54.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 2.54.51 PM.png (108.95 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
If it is deployed you can usually tell because the accordion rubber boot around the anchor is compressed (compare it to the passenger seat) If it does not look deployed you have to inspect the connectors very closely to make sure they are making good contact. Or you just could have a broken wire. I advise against any continuity testing because there is a small risk of deploying an undeployed pretensioner. Here is a vid of one going off, would not want to be near it with a test lead when it does:

https://youtu.be/6phdJWRi_vw?t=104

Herre is a note from the service manual:

The following diagnostic aids apply for both current and history DTCs.

An incorrectly installed CPA or incorrectly seated connector can cause a shorting bar to short both control circuits together. Check the connectors and CPAs if a DTC with symptom byte 02 or 0E is set, to ensure the shorting bars are not causing the circuits to be shorted together. Shorting bars are used in the locations listed below:

Driver and passenger anchor or retractor pretensioners

Inline connectors - on the side of the harness connector

Harness side of the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module connector

Terminal fretting or incorrectly seated connectors can cause an open/high resistance condition. Check the circuit terminals for fretting or incorrectly seated connector if a DTC with symptom byte 04 or 0D is set. DTCs of deployment loops which are in the seat can occur because of stress or damage to the harness due to seat movement. Move the seat to the full extend of travel while using the scan tool to observe deployment type loop parameters.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Does the scan tool show live data or does it only read the code? If the seat came out of a wrecked car, there is good chance the tensioner has been deployed. One other way to tell if it has been deployed, is there is usually a burn/corrosion mark on the seat frame.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Incidentally that part is the same part that gets replaced under the seat belt recall. If your car has not had it done yet may be able to get it for free. Although I do not know if they would replace a part throwing a code?? Part numbers in recall document below:

Recall:
https://www.newcaprice.com/files/Capric ... recall.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White