Austin in May - Circuit of The Americas - V8 Supercars

Upcoming events (car shows, racing, meets, conferences, etc....) of interest to our community. Also forum member meetups - either solo to Caprices or with other car groups such as informal cruise-in's, etc....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Austin in May - Circuit of The Americas - V8 Supercars

Post by Navy Lifer »

This is an open invitation to come to Austin Texas with your PPV for a unique weekend event--the inaugural Texas 400 round of the V8 Supercars, an Australian-born racing series that is coming to the USA for the first time this year. The race weekend dates are 17-19 May, with 2 races on both Saturday & Sunday, each 100km (62 miles) in length on the CoTA "short course". That may not seem like much racing, but, as "sprint" races, every lap is run full-out, as if it's the last lap of the race.

Tickets for the weekend start at $69 (plus parking) according to the current promotional information:
http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/v8-supercars/
https://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAm ... ref=stream

Since the PPV is a "big brother" to the VE Commodore/G8, there's a kinship by way of Holden's heavy involvement in the V8 Supercars with the Commodore--the best-known sedan racing series that now is FIA (worldwide) sanctioned. Yes, NASCAR is the dominant racing "product" here in the US, and may enjoy a greater following and total attendance annually, but the actual racing I've seen (via TV) of V8 Supercars events is just about as good as it gets.

I'm planning to go to this event, and I thought it would be good to have PPV owners show up "en masse" to bring an added bit of uniqueness to what will be a fun weekend, with (most likely) lots of G8 owners also in attendance. It is expected that at least some of the Holden racecars will have full Chevy SS livery (in spite of being RHD), which means that Chevrolet motorsports folks will be there, and it would be really cool if we showed up as a group and managed to get their attention, to let them know we need some performance "love" in the PPV community, too!

If there is time & opportunity, this could also present a chance to have a mini mod-day for electrical stuff, like fog lamps and a number of other things. Steve Eckart, from Austin, has enlisted Scott Williams (a name some may know from the B-body community) to do much of the electrical work on his PPV, so he is already "up to speed" on how to do many of the mods that seem to be of interest to PPV owners.

Steve and Scott both know and/or live in the Austin area, as does/did Bob Danelley, and I'm certain they would all make sure any of us who can be there will have a GOOD time. I realize it's a late call, and not quite vacation time for many, but I hope you'll consider it, if there is any way possible to be there. I still remember going to the first Brickyard 400 in August of 1994, where the atmosphere was filled with excitement--and that is where I first saw the Impala SS actually on the road--I was hooked. I'm certain the new SS Performance Sedan will be prominent at this event, too, so it will make for a weekend of firsts if you are able to be there.

Road Trip!!!!
leadfart

Re: Austin in May - Circuit of The Americas - V8 Supercars

Post by leadfart »

Sounds interesting, Bill. If you need a place to stay, I've got plenty of room, on the Island. :D The Circuit of America's, is about an hour blast from me, at 90+, on the tollway. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Man, I'd love to go to this. Unfortunately I'm already committed for a trip to Dayton, Ohio to attend the annual Hamvention the exact same dates. If something changes with my other trip I will seriously consider attending. Wonder if the promoter would like some PPV's to do a pace lap? :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

Can't go, but it should be cool.
I've seen it on TV.
Seems a lot like our Grand Am races.
I've been to the last couple of GA races in NJ and it's really cool.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)