When life hands you soup, drive the Caprice!

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
CrashTestDummy

When life hands you soup, drive the Caprice!

Post by CrashTestDummy »

We had our monthly regional autocross event today. Unfortunately, it's been raining almost every day since about Thanksgiving, so the track to the shop where we store the race car, trailer and truck were basically marooned. We sunk the truck trying to get back to the shop after our January event, so we weren't too excited about trying that again. That, and they were forecasting rain with a front passing through in the morning, which makes slicks useless.

So, we decided to take the Caprice. If it wasn't pissing down rain, we'd drive it a couple of laps and then head home. We woke to thick fog, and drove to the event in that fog, arriving at the venue with about 1/8th mile visibility:

^^That picture was taken while walking course. The picture is directed across the course, back toward the pit area where all the cars, trucks and things were.

We did get a chance to make a couple of runs each, staying in C Prepared to keep our points. It was still foggy, with a light rain falling at the time of the runs. The car handled well. I'm loving the swaybars, and coil-overs. I turned the TC 'off' and set the car to sport mode. That did little but let me spin the tires at will. My wife ran with the nanny's on, and ended up beating my by .2 sec!

^^ C Prepared Caprice 9C1. Race car for the rain!!

Still, it was fun, but wet.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
cerbomark

Re: When life hands you soup, drive the Caprice!

Post by cerbomark »

Cool. Some video next time.
2016 C1
CrashTestDummy

Re: When life hands you soup, drive the Caprice!

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The Caprice is our backup car, and has no provisions for holding our cameras. We do video in the Firebird, but not in the Caprice or the Tahoe.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?