starter issue

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
muscleparts

starter issue

Post by muscleparts »

Haven't put this 6.0 13 caprice on the road yet, but when I first looked at it I hit the key and CLICK, no start since then it has always started. yesterday 2 key turns 2 clicks, however it started to crank briefly when I released the key . My knee jerk response is that it has a starter solenoid issue. likely change the starter unless another idea seems possible.
lastcall190

Re: starter issue

Post by lastcall190 »

I've had that issue in several of my vehicles (sadly). Some things it ended up being (in no particular order of popularity):

Loose battery cable
Loose starter cable
Starter solenoid (as you stated)
Starter itself

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

^
Definitely check your battery/starter connections. I've had/seen this happen dozens of times on every type of vehicle you can imagine.
Mikevtc

Post by Mikevtc »

Suggestion!
Anyone who removes their starter should check out the crank position sensor, harness and heat shield/wrap!
My CPS harness shorted and FRIED my ecm. Costly and very much a pain in the rear.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Have your battery tested.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
MN6WS6

Post by MN6WS6 »

You said it started to crank briefly when you released the key, which is a sign that the electrical switch part of the ignition may be going bad or have some corrosion in it. I'm not sure how the Caprice ignition is set up, but this is a replaceable part on a lot of vehicles without having to mess with the key cylinder or any key programming issues. Might be worth looking into.