9C1 to 9C3 Conversion - who has done one?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
2014ltdltz

9C1 to 9C3 Conversion - who has done one?

Post by 2014ltdltz »

[I am new to this forum and will apologize if there are existing threads on this topic. If there are, kindly reply with links.]
Anyone out there done the full-on interior conversion /upgrade of a floor shift 9C1 to 9C3 spec? Not asking about retrofit of G8 parts, since there can be some fiddly differences (e.g., trim colors, electrical connectors can be different, etc.). Looking for direct bolt-in experience.

How difficult/lengthy a process is it to put in a 9C3 console with ducts, etc? Any solutions for the power window switch location/hole?

How difficult to source parts? (excluding new from GM) Any wrecking yards to recommend?

Where do you get a new carpet kit? (Seems like none of the aftermarket carpet companies make for the long wheel base M body)

Does anyone manufacture replacement/upgrade seat covers, preferably leather (not slip-on, real replacement covers)? (Like the carpet, seems like no one lists the Caprice as an option)

Thanks in advance for your input and for humoring a newbie to this forum.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 9C1 to 9C3 Conversion - who has done one?

Post by smwalker »

Have yet to see anyone move the window switch to the center. That would be a project on it's own.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

ive posted part #'s for the carpet , and floor mats

seat covers would be custom , or finding G8 seats if you have the 11-13 , or SS for the 14-17
2014ltdltz

Post by 2014ltdltz »

Are G8 seats a direct, no modification bolt-in install in a 2011-2013 Caprice PPV? Any issues with airbags, electrical connectors, etc.? I am assuming the rear are a simple install, but the fronts are a bit of a concern.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i think you have to swap plugs or something , the info is here on this board some where

ive got a 14 , so i cant help much not having done it
2014ltdltz

Post by 2014ltdltz »

In the interest of wanting to not mess with changing electrical connectors and having potential airbag issues, I'd be more inclined to re-cover the existing seats, hence the reason I asked if anyone has found a seat cover company (not referring to cheapo slip-on stuff).

How do I find the part #s for the carpet kit? I assume the poster above was referring to a GM part...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

2014ltdltz wrote:In the interest of wanting to not mess with changing electrical connectors and having potential airbag issues, I'd be more inclined to re-cover the existing seats, hence the reason I asked if anyone has found a seat cover company (not referring to cheapo slip-on stuff).

How do I find the part #s for the carpet kit? I assume the poster above was referring to a GM part...
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... 765#p17765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevink

Post by kevink »

2014ltdltz wrote:How do I find the part #s for the carpet kit? I assume the poster above was referring to a GM part...
The best way is to type this into google:

carpet site:www.newcaprice.com

The first hit is the thread.

http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... 4-oswNj2xc
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

> In the interest of wanting to not mess with changing electrical
> connectors and having potential airbag issues, I'd be more
> inclined to re-cover the existing seats

One route you could take is getting some factory seat skins from Australia. A company down there has a pretty good selection of factory replacements. Link:

https://www.holmart.com.au/surplus-inte ... m-genuine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the thing is with our US seats they made them for cops so the foams are a bit different in that they allow room for the utility belts of cops. SO if you guy a civilian car seat skin if may not fit right - but I think they sell foams also.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote:> In the interest of wanting to not mess with changing electrical
> connectors and having potential airbag issues, I'd be more
> inclined to re-cover the existing seats

One route you could take is getting some factory seat skins from Australia. A company down there has a pretty good selection of factory replacements. Link:

https://www.holmart.com.au/surplus-inte ... m-genuine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the thing is with our US seats they made them for cops so the foams are a bit different in that they allow room for the utility belts of cops. SO if you guy a civilian car seat skin if may not fit right - but I think they sell foams also.
They do, but H0ly Cr@P it's expensive!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?