Building / assembling lock cylinders.

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Black6

Building / assembling lock cylinders.

Post by Black6 »

Idiots who had the car before me thought that jamming a screw driver into the door locks was a good idea. So now I bought new ones, but I can’t get the old lock appart to see what tumblers I need to put in the new lock. Anyone have experience?
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
s/c'd cav

Re: Building / assembling lock cylinders.

Post by s/c'd cav »

you can go to your local dealer and pay the look up fee and get your key codes
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

s/c'd cav wrote:you can go to your local dealer and pay the look up fee and get your key codes
You have to be careful when you do that. The second Caprice I bought only had one key and the local dealers could not cut one. I had the dealer order 2 keys using the VIN and they did not match the key I had and they would not take them back. I know GM offers a lock cylinder kit that come with 2 keys, along with a cylinder for the ignition, trunk and door.

David
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Well I just dove in.. I’ll try to say what I did so if someone else finds this they can know what to do.

I drove out the roll pin that is in the rear. Had to use a small finishing nail

Then the two pieces on the rear came off

From the inside pried on the silver key that is swedged in to keep the lock coming out the back.

Carefully pushed the chrome face to push the lock rearward inside the housing.

Inserted key, and removed the piece containing the tumbler from the outside drum

Once that was all apart I pulled out each little key thing in the tumbler itself. Keeping them in order and right to left.

It’s also helpful that if you have a key cut, they should be able to tell you L1 L3 L1 L2, R3 R1 R1 R2 for instance and you can then put those corresponding pieces into the tumbler following the directions.

Dealership got me for $50+ on each lock and wanted another $50 each to build them. I built a door lock and a trunk lock for about $120, add 2 keys for $36 each cut and if I would have just gone to the dealership and had them do this it would have been about $400. I was lucky enough to get the cut off key out of the ignition. So I didn’t have to mess with that one.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.