Removing motor and transmission

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Fang

Removing motor and transmission

Post by Fang »

Has anyone created kind of a how-to on removing motor and transmission, I am going to start pulling everything out tomorrow and I know that they will come out from the bottom. I am just going to unbolt as much as I can off the front of the car and then will lift off with a forklift and roll everything out the front. Just thought someone might have some helpful tips?
Thanks!!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Removing motor and transmission

Post by smwalker »

Just 6 bolts on the cradle and the 4 in the trans mount and it is free. Super easy, well once you got all the other stuff unhooked.

Hardest thing will be getting to the oxygen sensor connectors at the back of the engine. And if you want to can avoid that by disconnecting the engine harness from the fuse box and just setting the harness on top of the engine while you pull it. If you look at the back of the underhood fuse block each harness comes in and the plugs can be separated individually from the fuse block. SO you theoretically could leave the lighting harness hooked up in the fuse block and just remove the engine harness. Holden made it very modular. And I think there is even one connector right near the fuse block for any wires that needed to transfer over from one harness to another.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Steve,

I really haven't looked that closely, do you mean to say that the front suspension stays on the car? That's VERY nice if it does. You had to disconnect the front suspension from the car to drop the cradle on most F-bodys.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Steve,

I really haven't looked that closely, do you mean to say that the front suspension stays on the car? That's VERY nice if it does. You had to disconnect the front suspension from the car to drop the cradle on most F-bodys.
Most of it. Have to disconnect the top of the strut. But everything else is connected to the engine cradle. So it really can roll right out.

I came across some rolling dollies from a window manufacturer that made it so I could lower the engine and trans and roll it out. But alternatively if you can get a floor jack on the trans mount and get the body high enough with the tires still on it might roll right out. Of course a lift would be ideal for this situation

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Black6

Post by Black6 »

I feel like removing the one bolt from the top of the strut would be a lot easier than removing all suspension parts from the cradle. You just HATE bleeding brakes that much? Ha.

4th gen f bodies you just remove the whole kmember with all suspension and roll it out from under the car. These are very similar it looks like. If you got really into it you could remove the front core support and roll the cradle out from the front..
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.