Can’t get any power to start car!!!!!!!!

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Fang

Can’t get any power to start car!!!!!!!!

Post by Fang »

I need to get my 2011 out of my enclosed trailer, battery dead, so used jump box and my helper hooked up backwards and the ignition key was in on position. Now I can not get the car to do anything the only thing that will light up is the car emblem with the lock going through it, which I assume is anti-theft. I have checked all of the obvious fuses and fused links on the car, I must be missing something. Is there a circuit breaker or fuse that would blow to protect ECM or did I fry everything. I’m at a loss, pulled car out onto a flatbed and will try again next weekend to get it running. Any help would be appreciated
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Can’t get any power to start car!!!!!!!!

Post by elc32955 »

Well, just some basics if you want to attack the problem yourself, try to start troubleshooting in logical steps. Verify your battery is good and putting out proper voltage. Use a battery tester to check it's current handling capability. Check fuses & links with an ohmmeter or continuity tester, not by visual check alone. If you have another key try another key to see if the car still reacts the same way. Make sure you have 12V with key on at a few points in the front. If you can get the car to respond to a scan tool, try to scan it to see what kind of error codes are coming up. If you have access to a Helm FSM, follow the troubleshooting steps there in order.

Your helper may have cost you some good dinero, possibly a tow to a reputable shop or dealer. Reverse polarity with a computer-dependent car... :o :o :o

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Fang

Post by Fang »

This car is being used as a donor only, when I first got the car, battery dead but car jumped under the hood and started right up. With power hooked up can’t even get headlights to turn on. The key is stuck in ignition, fob part was removed before sale. I have checked all the battery fuses and fused links on battery. I thought someone would know of some kind of circuit breaker and be an easy fix. I am going to pull motor, tranny and harness to transplant. If I need to buy another computer they are plentiful.
It just would be a lot easier if it would start and move around until I part out.
Black6

Post by Black6 »

You have to have the fob part in order to start the car. Have to go to the dealership and see if they can get you a pre programmed key. Or take the car to them. That or manage to tune cats out of both the Bcm and eco. Whoever kept that key fob blue falconed you good bro.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Black6 wrote:You have to have the fob part in order to start the car. Have to go to the dealership and see if they can get you a pre programmed key. Or take the car to them. That or manage to tune cats out of both the Bcm and eco. Whoever kept that key fob blue falconed you good bro.

OHHH MANNNN i just laughed out loud reading that, havent heard the "BF" used on someone for a long time.... Good stuf there sir...