Which caprice is best? What to look for when buying?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
MustangEater82

Which caprice is best? What to look for when buying?

Post by MustangEater82 »

Hello,

I joined the board awhile ago and might be caprice shopping again.

Do you guys have info on what are the better years to get, advantanges/disadvantages. Just things to help me consider while purchasing. I get the v8/v6 detective/ppv thing. I know somethings between the years. Please point me to a guide (I couldn't find one or we can help create one now.
s/c'd cav

Re: Which caprice is best? What to look for when buying?

Post by s/c'd cav »

pick what you want , most are black or white

there is other colors , but they are harder to get and often you gotta wait long for one to pop up
garrett

Post by garrett »

My personal opinion is that the 2012-2013's are the most desirable. They're past the kind of oddball 2011's (with all of their teething issues), they have the shifter in the center console, hydraulic power steering which is serviceable (as opposed to the electric setup where if there is any issue, you're basically in for a whole rack and control unit), there's probly more but can't think of it now.
Black6

Post by Black6 »

garrett wrote:My personal opinion is that the 2012-2013's are the most desirable. They're past the kind of oddball 2011's (with all of their teething issues), they have the shifter in the center console, hydraulic power steering which is serviceable (as opposed to the electric setup where if there is any issue, you're basically in for a whole rack and control unit), there's probly more but can't think of it now.
You ever driven a 14+ caprice? I had a super nice 13. Drove a 14 once, never want to go back. Now have a 14. The 14+ cars feel so much better. Drives a lot “smaller”. 2011-2013 cars are G8s. 2014-2017 cars are SSs.

Comes down to what you want and can afford. Imo best thing you could find is pay whatever someone wants for a 14+ car that has never been in police service. I should have bought one for 18k, instead I found a deal on an ex detective car and even though it was substantially less, I a lot of the time wish I would have just bit it and bought the super nice car that never saw police service.

I’d stay away from 2011s and city police marked cars (especially big cities). Most cars are < 2014 cars. Because it’s the intervals for replacement. So currently 14+ cars are pretty rare. Lots of 12s and 13s now. Personal preference and money rules all decisions though.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
kevink

Post by kevink »

2011-2013 9C3s are the "Holy Grail" cars and will bring the most money all else being equal. They have a floor shifter, full civilian/G8 style center console, carpet, and real (hydraulic) power steering. Any suspension changes on later years can be easily swapped over for little money if you really want them. I am not aware of any "teething" issues with 2011s. It's not like it was a new platform or anything. Care to share, garrett?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

kevink wrote:2011-2013 9C3s are the "Holy Grail" cars and will bring the most money all else being equal. They have a floor shifter, full civilian/G8 style center console, carpet, and real (hydraulic) power steering. Any suspension changes on later years can be easily swapped over for little money if you really want them. I am not aware of any "teething" issues with 2011s. It's not like it was a new platform or anything. Care to share, garrett?
all the 11-13's have a floor mounted shifter , just the 9C3 have a regular console via civilian cars

all 14-17's have a dash mounted shifter
MustangEater82

Post by MustangEater82 »

Thanks for the input guys, just the kind of stuff I was interested in.

Any opinions on salvage title cars? Seems like the majority around me are salvage title. I am considering one if the price is right.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

MustangEater82 wrote: Any opinions on salvage title cars?... if the price is right.
Thats what it comes down to. How confident are you at assessing a salvaged vehicle at auction. entry vs risk.

I'd avoid Holden WN's on salvage merely because parts source are difficult to source and expensive. Way too many variables for me to decide for you.
2016 Caprice
Black6

Post by Black6 »

MustangEater82 wrote:Thanks for the input guys, just the kind of stuff I was interested in.

Any opinions on salvage title cars? Seems like the majority around me are salvage title. I am considering one if the price is right.
Good luck finding anyone to loan on one. If they do, it’s usually half of private party value. Not dealer. Private party.

At the bare minimum a car with a salvage title is worth 75% of what a clean title car is worth. Even if it just got scratched at the dealership and that’s what totaled it.

Ontop or all that you have to verify how damaged it was. If it was fixed right and if whoever did the fix took their time or slapped it together or if they even knew what they were doing. It’s a steep learning curve and many people have been taught very expensive lessons.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I agree that is personal preference. I have over $50k in receipts including the $10 I paid for my 2013. The stereo's suck in the 2011-2013. 2013 are the worst year of all because the rear speakers don't work. You can do a 9C3 detective shift conversion to the 2011-2013 if you wanna make it look like a G8. The 2014-2017 Have Better Stereo and Column shifter which was 3 years too late. As soon as Police Departments saw the shifter on the floor when they first seen the New Caprice it was dead. You cant have a shifter underneath a laptop..just doesn't work! After I had my dealer install a new crate motor (after the stupid DOD system broke a lifter) mine has been very reliable. My car came from Dennis Mass and was ran 24/7 and not taken very good care of. I have a wicked case of OCD and have went through the car inch by inch making it perfect. They are not cheap to own but they are a Chevy and you can always fix whatever and it will always be a rare car. I have owned every police sedan they have made in the last 20 years. This Caprice is the biggest, fastest and most interior room of them all! If you find one that needs a engine for cheap I would snag it. This engine begs for a DOD delete kit. A fresh rebuild/DOD Delete give you 60+ hp right off the bat which make a huge difference since this pig has highway gears in it. I added Factory Carpet, Factory Remote Start, Had the Stereo Unlocked, Added the Factory Holden Rear Back-Up Camera, G8 Trunk Lid Carpet, Havis Police Console, 9C3 Hubcaps, Removed the Spotlight and New A Pillar Trim Piece, Replaced all the damaged interior plastic pieces. I have put about 60k miles on it since I got it 3 years ago. Its a little faster than our Police Departments 2017 Caprice. I would sell mine!
Attachments
Caprice.jpg
Caprice.jpg (123.36 KiB) Viewed 15028 times
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8