Pacesetter coated headers deal on ebay

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Revdoc

Pacesetter coated headers deal on ebay

Post by Revdoc »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133012009799 - headers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361298789324 - extension pipes

I have an exhaust leak at the flex pipe on the DS, so while researching header options I found these on ebay. I think that's about $100 off the normal price. I know you have to delete the oil cooler, so they're not a direct fit but still, $350 shipped for coated headers. Also I would assume these don't come with the extension pipes to mate up directly to the stock exhaust, but I found those from the same seller for $70 shipped. With O2 extensions I am under $450, just need to get the parts to delete the oil cooler.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Pacesetter coated headers deal on ebay

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Flex pipe? You mean back at the exhaust pipe to muffler connection? You'll need to add the cost of a cat back exhaust system, as well as a tune to tune out a pair of O2 sensors, since the primary cats are located pretty much where those collectors start.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm Flex pipe? You mean back at the exhaust pipe to muffler connection? You'll need to add the cost of a cat back exhaust system, as well as a tune to tune out a pair of O2 sensors, since the primary cats are located pretty much where those collectors start.
I think he means right off the manifold at the cat.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

There’s no flex pipe there.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:01 pm There’s no flex pipe there.
Not in the same sense as the mesh rear by the muffler, but there’s certainly a flex joint there.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Not sure if these are better than the camaro ss headers for similar prices that just require a bit of clearancing to fit around the steering and tiny bit around the oil cooler.

Also eBay does 15% off every once in a while so potentially cheaper than listed.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

My 2011 9C3 had a flex joint just past the cast manifold... I have seen them both ways...

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Revdoc

Post by Revdoc »

Good call on the 15% off.

Yes, it is just past the manifold, above the cat, looks more like an accordion than a traditional mesh flex pipe. The exhaust shop I took it to told me they see those commonly get pulled apart, usually on the driver's side because the engine lifts that side when torqued. They offered to attempt to weld in a 4" long universal flex pipe but the stock piece is 2" long and they estimated $225. For about twice that I will have some decent headers that I would have probably purchased later on anyway.

From what I have read about the G8 headers there should be no clearance issues aside from the stock oil cooler. I think it cost about $50 for the parts for the cooler delete, I used info from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=214.

I will make a tech thread when I do the install this weekend to document what I encounter. I do have HP Tuners so I can delete the rear O2 sensors because I will not have the front cats after the install, I am just bolting these Pacesetters directly to the stock exhaust. I plan to replace more of the exhaust later but this will get the leak fixed and the car on the road.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Okay, I call that an expansion section, not flex pipe. I guess it could flex some.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Revdoc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 am Good call on the 15% off.

Yes, it is just past the manifold, above the cat, looks more like an accordion than a traditional mesh flex pipe. The exhaust shop I took it to told me they see those commonly get pulled apart, usually on the driver's side because the engine lifts that side when torqued. They offered to attempt to weld in a 4" long universal flex pipe but the stock piece is 2" long and they estimated $225. For about twice that I will have some decent headers that I would have probably purchased later on anyway.

From what I have read about the G8 headers there should be no clearance issues aside from the stock oil cooler. I think it cost about $50 for the parts for the cooler delete, I used info from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=214.

I will make a tech thread when I do the install this weekend to document what I encounter. I do have HP Tuners so I can delete the rear O2 sensors because I will not have the front cats after the install, I am just bolting these Pacesetters directly to the stock exhaust. I plan to replace more of the exhaust later but this will get the leak fixed and the car on the road.
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... 1&start=30

Check out the camaro header install this guy did.