Alldatadiy vs Helm manuals?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
paul54

Alldatadiy vs Helm manuals?

Post by paul54 »

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on the $300 Helm manuals, but Alldatadiy seems like an decent alternative. I vaguely remember having alldata a few years ago, and it was ok. Any of the most experienced folks on here have a recommendation on hard copy Helm vs Alldata? I like have paper in front of me, but if the alldata info is an exact copy, I might do that instead.

I did a quick search on here for alldata, and did not see many hits. Perhaps it is not that good for the PPV's?

Thanks
CrashTestDummy

Re: Alldatadiy vs Helm manuals?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think they're all pretty crappy these days, but I don't think it's the fault of the publisher. The Helm set is only 3 volumes for our 2012 (as opposed to 5 volumes for our Tahoe), but it seems you have to refer to all three to do just about anything. Anyway, one vote for the Helm manuals, if only because I'm familiar with them, and have their web site bookmarked. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Thanks. There is just something about getting your greasy fingerprints on a Helm that is not the same with a laptop! Probably will go with the Helm.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

At $14.95/yr (search for a coupon) Alldatadiy is great. It has plenty of diagrams and instructions. It was a somewhat abridged version of the factory online manuals available from AC Delco (https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I got the 3 days at $20 before I got Alldatadiy). To me it seems Alldatadiy uses the same docs as factory, just not as many. I think Alldatadiy would be enough for 95% of all you would want to do.

Also, your library may offer free access to auto repair guides online. Mine does. They are pretty great as well, less info than alldatadiy but the same type of docs.
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

The first thing I did after getting my Caprice ppv (two weeks ago) was to get the service manual in an online format. I have the Mitchell 1(eautorepair.net) which is similar to alldatadiy.com but alittle easier to navigate. Very helpful for troubleshooting.
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Although it's been a while since I've used AllDataDIY, I think they also include recalls, TSB's, bulletins and such, which could be useful. Their manuals can be a bit more technical and less geared towards DIY'ers given the source of their info.

$300 for a manual seems a bit steep to me.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419