Suggestion: Member builds section

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Mooseman

Suggestion: Member builds section

Post by Mooseman »

I'm a member/mod on a forum dedicated to GM Trucks (of course!) and one thing we have on there that I think would be cool and useful here is a member builds section. There, members post about their ride, what they are doing to them, modifications, pics and so on. It helps give ideas to others on what to do on their own vehicle. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

https://gmtnation.com/forums/forums/member-builds.66/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This community is much smaller and rightly so given the rarity of the vehicle (especially in Canada LOL!). I think having a build threads section will create more buzz about our cars.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Suggestion: Member builds section

Post by elc32955 »

Interesting suggestion, thanks much for the input! What say you other members?

Oh, and don't get me started about the beautiful dash on my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500... I wore out the Silverado/Sierra forum over that one, lol!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
garrett

Post by garrett »

Absolutely 100%, let's have a members builds sub forum
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Yea, Id say go for it. Some of these cars are unfortunately trashed when 2nd hand owners pick them up, and they modify it as they go along. Not every Caprice is the same. Plus it doesnt clog up the general threads/boards.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

There's gotta be some more interest in this?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, in my book silence equals consent and right now I'm in favor of doing it. I'll give a day or two more for other member input and then unless there's major heartburn I'll set up the section.

Basic ground rules will be one car per member per thread, hijackers will be moved or moderated if straying too far off the thread topic. We have had build threads scattered all over the place in the past, actually I should have thought to do this long ago. 4-year extended blond moment, sometimes the fresh perspective does wonders.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
TexasHotshot

Post by TexasHotshot »

I like the idea
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This board has always been Modification Centered as opposed to vehicle centered because after all the variation of models at the beginning was 2 and in 2014 it moved to 3 differences. Having a build area makes it more vehicle centered in that the discussion will be centered around a particular vehicle as opposed to the modification. My only fear is someone does a great modification and it gets posted about in post 32 of a 75 post thread with the subject "John's 2012 Caprice ". As we all know the search function on this board is spotty so a poor subject and poor search spells disaster for the future in terms of information retrieval.

But I understand if people want to put all theirs car's info in one thread all I would ask is that is you list a mod you have done on your car and you get more that 5 questions on it and no one has done a write up of it already that should be your cue to start a new thread in the correct section and give us all the details in the format that this board was founded on. I will link to our constitution here:

Posting of procedures, tech data, etc.

Then of course link to your write up right after your listing of the mod in the first page of your build thread so people won't have to read through 31 messages to get to the info they are also interested in.

Other than that I am all for seeing lots of pics of members cars!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

FWIW I'm a fan of this. I enjoy seeing the direction others have taken their cars. The pictures are nice when it's a slow day at work as well.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
kevink

Post by kevink »

smwalker wrote:all I would ask is that is you list a mod you have done on your car and you get more that 5 questions on it and no one has done a write up of it already that should be your cue to start a new thread in the correct section and give us all the details in the format that this board was founded on.
While this may be a good idea in theory, it will never work out. Even if this were a "rule", people will just not follow it. Too many people can't even post the correct size photo, make meaningful thread titles, write a complete sentence, etc. What you are proposing is very complex in comparison!
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.