Road noise on PPV?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
pc500

Re: Road noise on PPV?

Post by pc500 »

Thank you. I can't imagine the actual physical wheels make a difference other than looks, but I'll take a look at the tires and spring recommendations.
pc500

Post by pc500 »

I've noticed most Camaro tires have different sizes front and rear, even in 18". Is this ok?

Additionally, do you know if these will fit? The seller does not provide the size. I'll call tomorrow. https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/wto/ ... 14813.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pc500

Post by pc500 »

How about the 20" Camaro wheels? Will they work too?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/wto/ ... 41503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

pc500 wrote:I've noticed most Camaro tires have different sizes front and rear, even in 18". Is this ok?

Additionally, do you know if these will fit? The seller does not provide the size. I'll call tomorrow. https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/wto/ ... 14813.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Base (18") Camaro wheels that fit the PPV are "square" (same size at all 4 corners)
- 2010 to 2015 are 18 x 7.5" (not sure about offset)
- 2016 to 2018 are 18 x 8.5" +32mm offset

The studded tire & Camaro wheel package from Craig's List should fit your PPV, no problem.
pc500 wrote:How about the 20" Camaro wheels? Will they work too?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/wto/ ... 41503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plenty of PPV owners are using 20" Camaro production wheels, which are "staggered" - 2010 to 2015 Camaro had 20x8 front and 20x9 rear wheels.

2016 & newer Camaro 20" wheels are not the same offset as the previous generation, and even though they will fit (same pattern and center bore), I don't consider them appropriate for the PPV due to the change in scrub radius (front suspension geometry characteristics) and wheel hub/bearing loading. I'm sure that won't stop people from using these wheels.

The listed TSW wheels (a square setup) do not mention offset, but I'd guess they're +35mm, and should fit the PPV without issue. The one thing you should check for is whether hub-centric rings are included in the package. They're available separately if not with the wheels. The purpose of hub-centric rings is to provide a guide/centering for the wheels as they are being secured to the hub flange with the lug nuts. TSW, like many other companies, make "universal" wheels, so the wheel center bore is typically made to fit the largest common hub using that wheel stud pattern....in this case, that is usually the BMW fitment, which is 72.56mm, where the GM Zeta platform is 66.9mm, with a "fit" dimension for wheels or rotors of 67.4mm.

The tires included with the TSW wheels are larger than stock PPV tires--about 1.3" taller. This is possibly too large and could cause some clearance issues, especially at the rear, but more importantly it will affect speedometer and odometer, and to a smaller degree, performance and possibly fuel economy.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Ive added sound deadener throughout the back of the car. Covered the trunk floor, the metal behind the rear seats, the rear floor, under the rear seat, and the rear doors. A HUGE difference in noise. The biggest issue I have now is the tires. All of the alignment angles are within spec and Ive been rotating the tires with the services. Its got 25k on it now and the front tires have chopped up faster than my salad under a knife.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)