New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm 

On the video you can see I turn the key and it just clicks and doesn't start to turn over, or barely starts to turn over but doesn't start. Always starts eventually (knock on wood). Not too familiar with these new ignition systems where you don't have to hold the key turned the whole time it's cranking. Any idea what might be going wrong? It's been doing this every few days or so.

Video:
https://youtu.be/-XICEetuQh4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:29 pm 

That seems like normal operation. Yes you don't have to hold the key the whole time but I think you need to hold it longer than a half a second. In other words ones it gets a 1 second command from you it will take over from there even if it takes 3 seconds to start. BUt you need to give it a good command.

In the same reguard hold it for 5 seconds and if it starts after 2 it still wont keep spinning the starter like the old days. It;s like a key activated start button, But even the push to start buttons need a good 1 second push, not just a glance. They just take that as an accidental push.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 pm 

smwalker wrote:
That seems like normal operation. Yes you don't have to hold the key the whole time but I think you need to hold it longer than a half a second. In other words ones it gets a 1 second command from you it will take over from there even if it takes 3 seconds to start. BUt you need to give it a good command.

In the same reguard hold it for 5 seconds and if it starts after 2 it still wont keep spinning the starter like the old days. It;s like a key activated start button, But even the push to start buttons need a good 1 second push, not just a glance. They just take that as an accidental push.

Strangely though, and I don't have a video of this yet, but sometimes I will turn and hold and it just does the single click and that's it, it doesn't start to turn over. Ignition switch? Starter?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 pm 

I take back what I said. I went and tried mine. Did just half a second bumps, first time no start second time start. sO it is possible to start with small short bumps. Not sure what the system needs to see in place to do an extended crank. Will see if I can find a description of the system and what it's doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:31 pm 

smwalker wrote:
I take back what I said. I went and tried mine. Did just half a second bumps, first time no start second time start. sO it is possible to start with small short bumps. Not sure what the system needs to see in place to do an extended crank. Will see if I can find a description of the system and what it's doing.

So last night I did a probably 3/4 second bump, and it clicked and did nothing, then I did another 3/4 second bump and again it clicked but then probably a full second later it cranked and started. Also, sometimes when it clicks and does nothing, a second or so later I hear another click from under the hood somewhere. Maybe the starter gear is engaging the flexplate but then not turning?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 pm 

smwalker wrote:

Another new variation, the other night it did it's now less rare click and nothing happens, so I gave it a second and tried again and this time held the key in the turned position for about 5 seconds and then it started turning over and started.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:50 pm 

I call it flick start (just flick the key and it keeps cranking without having to hold the key turned). I found that this vehicle's flick start is the most finicky of all GM's I've seen. So I just hold the key most of the time.