What would the dealership say about this

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
79sevillecoupe

What would the dealership say about this

Post by 79sevillecoupe »

Since I have the full exhaust system done and a cold air intake, would the dealership say anything about them if I took it in for an oil change? It is a 2014 with bumper to bumper until January 2019. I also still have the fleet credit. I live in California, so it's definitely not CA compliant. I also just got a CEL for the cats, so I'm scouting out a local tuner to do some refining on it and get the HP.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: What would the dealership say about this

Post by smwalker »

Don't think they would say anything. The key is would they take any notes. So when you came back for warranty work with all the factory stuff put back on would they would have documentation that it was modified at one point. But until warranty work is required they would not care much.

But basically all the GM instructions on warranty items say to check for aftermarket parts at the time of the work. Not for evidence it was ever there. But really just depends on who you get.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Re: What would the dealership say about this

Post by xcidmigs »

The tune is where they would try to get you, I have used things like CAI and cat backs for years on cars that were brand new and no dealer ever gave me any type of issue, if anything someone might say "car sounds good with that exhaust" or something to that effect. Years ago with the hand held tuner devices I would always make sure that the factory tune was back in the PCM when taking it in for whatever just in case they found some reason to "update" it themselves which could actually erase a program from hypertech for instance. Now with the custom written ones I'm not sure what they would do but they will definitely be able to see that you have gone into it. I was already warned by my tune guy that even putting back the stock tune the computer is going to have a log of the dates the changes were made for them to see which you cannot erase. Maybe figure out why your CEL is on b4 taking it in?