Buick Park Avenue, anyone?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Buick Park Avenue, anyone?

Post by Navy Lifer »

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013080 ... /130809960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutman

Re: Buick Park Avenue, anyone?

Post by Troutman »

Cheers for posting. It's rare to see the Park Avenue given any attention in the 'Western' media.

The car actually has a 3.0 V6 (similar to the base Commodore in Australia), which is still bigger than the former 2.8. The reason being that it is intended as a chauffeur-driven vehicle. It appears the interior hasn't changed since 2008, when those photos were taken.

If it were to be sold in the US, buyers would very likely demand more powerful engines. This would harm fuel economy, which would in turn cause a CAFE headache... and hence why it really isn't going to happen. Hence that market is somewhat dead in the water aside from very high-tech models from makers like Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Definitely one car I have never seen before. Thanks for the post bill. I am a bit perturbed that the Chinese got this car(though underpowered) before us. Losing faith more and more.... I'd love to have one of these for a DD.
Caretaker for:
1996 BBB Wx3
1995 POS B4U
1994 ABM B4U
1971 DGGM Caprice
1969 LBM Caprice
Hoping to add a 2012 9c3 to the stable soon
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Oh, I can dream....

As a US-market model, how about a version with a 400+ HP 3.6TT (as Cadillac is using) and 8-speed auto, with a "major" makeover of the front & rear of the car, at least--and updated to WN platform specs. The turbo V6 theme is appropriate for Buick....considering they started it about 35 years ago!

In addition to the clear confusion about the origin of this vehicle, the commenters in the Autoweek article largely smack of arrogant condescension--if it's not at least Euro-based, and preferably one of the "German" Big 3 (Audi, Benz, or Beemer)--so what if the trim and finish levels aren't always comparable, it's the snobbery that repels me. I'll take what GM creates and do what I want to personalize and "upgrade" it to suit my taste, no matter what the snobs may think of it.

One thing working against the appeal of the PA is that I am not sure the Chinese offer any color on this car other than black--alot can be done with a simple change like that to "transform" something that seems quite bland into something that really pops. Put one of these into the hands of a SEMA show "restyler" and stand back!!!

It isn't in the Chinese market as a lux-performance car, rather as a quasi-luxury "limo" model for the mid-level executive--appropriate to status, which is a really important thing in China, since it matters that someone at a lower level doesn't show up for meetings in a vehicle that upstages what the "big boss" rides to work in. The truly high-end folks are all running around in a Benz, no doubt, and I'm OK with that.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I want the LED taillights...

:-)

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, the Holden Caprice has LED's too....they're just pricey!

Previous thread: http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

yep... i know...
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L