Junkyard Hauls

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
thirdgenfarmer

Junkyard Hauls

Post by thirdgenfarmer »

I don't know if there is any interest in this or not, but I thought there could be a thread where people discuss some of their Junkyard part finds and prices.

I am trying to restore the car back to a more original state (ditch the banged up aftermarket wheels, and dvd headrests, chewed up trim pieces etc)

For example, on Monday I picked up two original wheels with "decent" Firestone Firehawk GTz tires @ 7/32nds, two headrests, two of the windshield reveal mouldings for a total of $116.40. How did I do?
2011 9c1

"It's got a cop motor, a 364-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks..."
BIG_GREEK

Re: Junkyard Hauls

Post by BIG_GREEK »

id just like to find a junk yard with a caprice in it!!
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Go do a search on car-part.com for an easy locate. Look for a door, a trunk lid, any Caprice unique part that would sell. If a yard pops up, they've got a car sitting in there or have one that's been parted.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
thirdgenfarmer

Post by thirdgenfarmer »

That's what I've done, unfortunately you will find that when a car hits a yard they are usually parted fairly quickly.

For example, I called Thursday about the wheels and there were four listed. Before I ordered they were down to three and by the time I picked up they were at two remaining.

also wish there was a way to get their entire parts inventory for the car, as there are a lot of misc parts that I'd be interested in. That aren't worth them logging since they are low volume low price.
2011 9c1

"It's got a cop motor, a 364-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks..."
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Here is a link to a car I was watching, but I was working 6 days a week at work, plus the old 6.9l Ford has some injector pump problems that have to be lined out before it does anymore trailer towing. I also need to get the 2013 engine donor car off of the trailer. The car looks rough, but there had to be a lot of good parts on it.
https://www.lsoauctions.com/details.cfm ... 1074418627

David
RM96

Post by RM96 »

I just picked up a back seat $200 and a floor shifter $125 from a 2014 SS. The car is in one of those full service yards, but they let me check it out. There was not much left, said it's been in their inventory for about a year. They also had a LSA/T56 combo in the lobby for $16.5k 8-)

Still need to clean and condition the seat, but over all great shape.
SS Back Seat.jpg
SS Back Seat.jpg (151.8 KiB) Viewed 18920 times
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

RM96 wrote:I just picked up a back seat $200 and a floor shifter $125 from a 2014 SS. The car is in one of those full service yards, but they let me check it out. There was not much left, said it's been in their inventory for about a year. They also had a LSA/T56 combo in the lobby for $16.5k 8-)

Still need to clean and condition the seat, but over all great shape.
SS Back Seat.jpg
What a deal ! We have a lot of yards in tri state area , but nothing that good . I have seen or heard of people with great finds like that but ni such luck here . Heck is it still there and do they have the factory springs ?
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Nah, no more springs, drivetrain and everything else under the car is all gone. Car was hit in the front. Both front doors were gone, rears were still there, decklid with spoiler was still there, They might have the complete rear end assembly available. The front door panels were in the trunk, pretty dirty, but might clean up ok.

Google americanaz if you're interested.
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Picked up a complete set of Camaro Brembo's for $370. Next up, break down, clean, powder coat and rebuild.
Brembos.jpg
Brembos.jpg (247.11 KiB) Viewed 18638 times
thirdgenfarmer

Post by thirdgenfarmer »

Picked up all 4 inner seat track covers, the right outer seat track cover, and lower center pillar trims for $75 (all out of a G8). Looking these parts up on gmparts direct the total would have been $275 plus shipping. Obviously these aren't new parts - but at a savings of $200 I'm very happy.

My vehicle had most of the interior trim, but did have some holes drilled and many pieces were cracked beyond repair.
2011 9c1