LS3 in Holden Caprice, I've been away too long

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
gregc

LS3 in Holden Caprice, I've been away too long

Post by gregc »

Looks like Holden is going out with a bang with the final Holden Caprice. They need to use up all those LS3s when the Commodore and Chevy SS is discontinued. It's an LS3, not an L99 either. The L99 is the version that the 5 Gen Camaros had with the Auto. No AFM on the LS3, but the L99s had em. My 9C1 is soon to be a garage queen since it's hardly driven. With so few of them in the US, parts are going to be scarce when it's discontinued.
xcidmigs

Re: LS3 in Holden Caprice, I've been away too long

Post by xcidmigs »

ls3 is already been available in the SS sedan for a couple years now, why is this big news? Also not sure why people keep saying parts will be scarce when so many cross over to the G8 or camaro line. I guess maybe things like body panels?
gregc

Post by gregc »

xcidmigs wrote:ls3 is already been available in the SS sedan for a couple years now, why is this big news? Also not sure why people keep saying parts will be scarce when so many cross over to the G8 or camaro line. I guess maybe things like body panels?
I was referring to the Caprice which was never available in an LS3 until now. I was also referring to Caprice specific parts. Once they get discontinued, you've got to order from Australia.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

gregc wrote:My 9C1 is soon to be a garage queen since it's hardly driven. With so few of them in the US, parts are going to be scarce when it's discontinued.
Yes, you have been away too long--working somewhere you can't tell us, I suppose!

It is interesting that the Holdens get the LS3--even Caprice, but the PPV stays with L77 to the end.

If I'm not mistaken, L99 was AFM with VVT....I find VVT intriguing, but complicated when it comes to tuning. I think it would benefit our heavy cars.

Post when you can--lots of new folks here since you've been MIA.
gregc

Post by gregc »

Nah, I've been stateside since 2013. Next year is a different story. I think I've done all the modding that I could with the PPV, so I focused my time and money on my other projects. I don't really want to mod the engine for fear that it won't pass smog. I've been working on my box B-Bodies. 2 have an LS Swap with 94-96 Impala SS aftermarket suspension and rear end. The other 3, 77 Buick Riviera, 79 Buick Lesabre sedan, and an 86 Lesabre Wagon are parts cars. I've also got an 83 Coupe DeVille getting an LSA or an LT4. I haven't decided yet.

Navy Lifer wrote:
gregc wrote:My 9C1 is soon to be a garage queen since it's hardly driven. With so few of them in the US, parts are going to be scarce when it's discontinued.
Yes, you have been away too long--working somewhere you can't tell us, I suppose!

It is interesting that the Holdens get the LS3--even Caprice, but the PPV stays with L77 to the end.

If I'm not mistaken, L99 was AFM with VVT....I find VVT intriguing, but complicated when it comes to tuning. I think it would benefit our heavy cars.

Post when you can--lots of new folks here since you've been MIA.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I met a Police Officer from Australia at the Police & Fire Olympics who has a 2017 HSV Grande with the Corvette LT1 his has the Walkinshaw Performance Pkg which takes it from 455hp to 500hp. It would of been nice if GM would of made the last of the PPV with this motor or even the LS3.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8