Check Engine Light

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
ejf2461

Re: Check Engine Light

Post by ejf2461 »

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L23 ... NJ4R402wdU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Titanium valve retainers.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

This has to be a April fools setup, why would anyone even consider dropping that kind of $$ onto a over 100K 9c1? In the event I'm wrong and you actually have that amount of money and are serious about spending it on this car and you have access to Lingenfelter why not just allow them to either rebuild the motor you have or drop in a crate motor they have? Like why buy a GM motor which comes with a warranty that will be voided as soon as you open it up? Your dedication to this dealership continues to defy logic even without the pricetags you post up. Why not just ask them if they have any leftover 2016 SS sedan you can buy?
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

xcidmigs, since you seem to have a wise remark about most of my posts I will give you a little personal info on me. I do not get a take home squad car because I live outside the area in which I serve. My agency did allow me to purchase my own police vehicles and lease them to the town . They plate the vehicle, fuel it and insure it. Part 2 of this is I own an operate a security company that uses only uniformed off-duty police officers and in most cases there fully marked police cars. Having numerous accounts 16 CVS Pharmacy's, 8 Popeyes Chickens, 12 different Private Schools, 4 Movie Theaters, 23 apartment complexes and 5 construction companies I am constantly having to cover one or more of these locations myself. I have a 2013 Impala 9C1, The 2013 Caprice 9C1 and just purchased a 2013 Tahoe SSV 4x4. The day I dropped off the Caprice to the dealer thinking it was something minor the Body shop across town had just taken the windows out of the Impala to repaint the entire car which lead to the purchase an hour later for the SSV Tahoe. I am a Chevy Guy to my Core and prefer to drive them over the Police Fords/Police Dodge vehicles. Chevrolet hasn't left us with much choice other than the Police Tahoe which I am allowed to buy new through the state bid of about $38k for new. I do think 4K to fix the engine is not smart for an engine with 118k. I also think 8k for a new engine even with a warranty is very pricey.If I went with the new engine I would just leave it alone..You had made a comment about opening the engine up and voiding my warranty. If I had more time and since the car has grown on me I would probably tow the Caprice to Lingenfelter and have a LS3 swap done for $13k 550+hp sounds really fun. Lingenfelter can't even start on my vehicle for 8 weeks. I spent almost an hour today speaking with Ryan Gledhill from Lingenfelter trying to work something out. The best he could do is sell me the DOD Delete Kit/LS3 Cam & HD Lifters/Spring Kit for the dealer to install which the said they could not, even if the could I could not drive the car until they did a custom tune on it which they are also 8 weeks out. They was a guy on this forum lsxjerry which had rebuilt his engine with dod delete and happened to live in Indiana but he hasn't responded to my pm yet. I have until 8am to make my decision.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

xcidmigs wrote:This has to be a April fools setup, why would anyone even consider dropping that kind of $$ onto a over 100K 9c1? In the event I'm wrong and you actually have that amount of money and are serious about spending it on this car and you have access to Lingenfelter why not just allow them to either rebuild the motor you have or drop in a crate motor they have? Like why buy a GM motor which comes with a warranty that will be voided as soon as you open it up? Your dedication to this dealership continues to defy logic even without the pricetags you post up. Why not just ask them if they have any leftover 2016 SS sedan you can buy?
I don't understand why the dealer is the go-to but I don't doubt any other aspects. I'm about to get started on a LS3/TR6060 swap on my 9C1. I bought the car, have done a full G8 interior swap, brake upgrade, suspsension refresh, and I should still be under 20k when I'm done. Thats a lot of car for the money. A lot cheaper than even a first year SS, larger, faster, and more rare in my area (I still have yet to see a privately owned Caprice since buying mine)
kevink

Post by kevink »

For $13,000, you are only gaining 200 additional horsepower. If you decided to do that, you'd be $43,000 in the hole and have a 440whp Caprice.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

fuzzkill wrote: I don't understand why the dealer is the go-to but I don't doubt any other aspects. I'm about to get started on a LS3/TR6060 swap on my 9C1. I bought the car, have done a full G8 interior swap, brake upgrade, suspsension refresh, and I should still be under 20k when I'm done. Thats a lot of car for the money. A lot cheaper than even a first year SS, larger, faster, and more rare in my area (I still have yet to see a privately owned Caprice since buying mine)
What you describe doing is the way to go, its the definition of "hotrodding" which is what motivates most of us to have one of these cars and come on this forum seeking to improve it. Even if someone can't do the work you describe themselves, which up to the engine swap would seem very much possible for the average DIY home mechanic but also any of us could purchase a upgrade motor, or complete drop used setup and find a competent shop to do the install work. Good luck with your project, I'm not sure why i continue to feel the need to respond to this thread but i just picture someone else reading this nonsense while searching for their own issues....