Caprice ... work in progress

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
fuzzkill

Re: Caprice ... work in progress

Post by fuzzkill »

Didn't get anything accomplished on the interior or body today, but made progress nonetheless.

Pulled the L77 off the cradle, and removed all the accessories. Swapped all the accessories to the LS3. Also swapped the oil cooler, almost didn't realize it was different but it is located a little different than the LS3 Camaro unit. Might have worked using the Camaro hoses, but not going to chance it. The LS3 also has an extra crankcase breather port in the valley cover, I blocked that off to use the factory L77 PCV hose locations. Everything went over bolt for bolt, as to be expected. Mostly reassembled the L77/6L80E for sale with all the LS3 accessories.

Wired up the LS3 with the new harness, everything went together smoothly. Before I did that though, I swapped over the L77 injectors and rail to the LS3 since they are larger (being E85 rated). We'll see if the shifter location is good or not, that is one nice thing with having an external shifter assembly like this though, it's trivial to shorten or lengthen the shifter provided you can weld.

I did see that there is one connector missing that I believe is for fan control - I saw it mentioned in one of the other 6 speed swap threads. The GXP uses 3 relays to control the 2 fans as does the Caprice but obviously it is handled differently on the Caprice. I'll need to dig into it some more, hopefully I can find the information I need.

Something interesting to note about the transmission mount in the GXP vs. the Camaro SS. The TR6060 has no flat mounting bolts on the bottom for a tranny mount - they bolt in from the side of the transmission. The Camaro transmission mount bolts to the sides and then has studs pointing down into the crossmember - but the bolt spacing is way off from our crossmember. The GXP (and the SS sedan) actually use the same transmission mount for both the automatics and the manuals - the manuals just use a solid adapter bracket that bolts between the TR6060 and the flat mount. I picked that bracket, a new mount, and the SS sedan M6 crossmember. The SS sedan A6 uses the same crossmember as the Caprice and G8, so I figure the M6 crossmember should not only work but is likely the same part number as the GXP crossmember.
Attachments
IMG_20170415_215220629.jpg
IMG_20170415_215220629.jpg (423.26 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
IMG_20170415_215206995.jpg
IMG_20170415_215206995.jpg (414.63 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Hey Fuzz, Are you sure the injectors are a different size? I thought that as well but when my tuner worked on mine, he said that I have 42# injectors just like the G8's I was shocked. :( Mine was never in service and only had 8k on the odom and is the E85 compatiable, but I doubt that anyone ever changed them out.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

mercialogo wrote:Hey Fuzz, Are you sure the injectors are a different size? I thought that as well but when my tuner worked on mine, he said that I have 42# injectors just like the G8's I was shocked. :( Mine was never in service and only had 8k on the odom and is the E85 compatiable, but I doubt that anyone ever changed them out.
You may be right - I just checked and they are a different part number but they look like they are the same size in HPTuners for an 11 SS and a 13 Caprice. Oh well, same as what I had. They are supposed to have a more/finer orifices, for a finer spray pattern than a standard LS3 injector - hence the different part number. Probably nothing I'm ever going to notice :)
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Got the clutch master/pedal assembly mounted up tonight. What a pain. Didn't think as much cursing would be required :lol:

Have the matching pedal cover for the clutch, but need to buy a matching gas pedal assembly. Unfortunate that you can't buy the cover separately for that but it is a service item anyway so the price isn't too bad.

Have a good idea on the wiring needed for the rest of the swap, thanks to kras007. Looking to get that underway tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20170422_233111734.jpg
IMG_20170422_233111734.jpg (377.41 KiB) Viewed 14007 times
PPV

Post by PPV »

Great project. I was contemplating an M6 conversion on my '13 Caprice but since purchased an M6 SS. Can't wait to see your finished product!

You will need a VE manual series II shifter plate for the console from down under. The auto and manual shifter opening is different. I got one from crazy Paul but I'm sure Karo at holdenpartsusa.com can get you one.

I would also suggest using an MGW shifter for a 2010-2015 camaro. They are real nice units and are much shorter and firmer than stock.
Attachments
IMG_5672.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 13989 times
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Wiring has been done - little clutch wiring issue to figure out still though.

Engine and trans have been mated back into the car. I swapped out the diff for a 3.45 Camaro SS unit. Had the driveshaft shortened 2.25". Should have gone with 2.5", would have made for an easier install but it fits! There is about 1.5" of slip joint in the shaft so you need to be close but you don't need more than a regular measuring tape to do so.

Got a Magnaflow cat back system for a G8 (#16887). Stainless dual 2.5" with X-pipe and resonator. Needed a few inches extension in the middle and about 5-6" out back for the tips. Otherwise perfect fit, all the hangers and mufflers line up with the stock placement.

Working on bleeding the clutch and brakes now. Should be rolling real soon.

Will post bunch of pictures later.
Rjimpala

Post by Rjimpala »

I already have the gas pedal that you are talking about. I was told it wouldn't work because of the PCM..... I want it to work but don't know about the PCM.
2011 Karma 9c3 never in service, Setina trunk tray, trunk floor mat, H&R springs, skid plate, leather shifter, g8 rear seats, tint, rear spoiler, side markers, Holden badges, shark fin antennae, capriceV trunk emblem, series ll & afm emblems, red tail tips, lighted vanity mirrors, black headliner & pillars, G8 light switch, red light window switches, g8 gas pedals, powdered coated colored hubs, g8 matching color steering wheel & color interior strips & center ring.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Had a lot of problems getting the Caprice ECM to run the car properly - ended up switching to a GXP ECM.

Car would start and run fine, but I couldn't get rid of the Stabilitrak error even after doing a BPP learn. CPP learn could not be completed and the ECM would not recognize CPP input. Dash would indicate 'P' for park all the time. Reverse lockout solenoid was always engaged, and the reverse lights didn't work. Otherwise no driveability issues as you could still push the shifter into reverse. Car would start with/without clutch pushed in.

With the other ECM and a stock GXP tune everything functions as stock. No gear indicator on the dash unless you put it into reverse, then 'R' is displayed. Reverse lockout works as stock. Reverse lights work. No error messages on dash, and the CPP is recognized and the learn procedure works. Car only starts with the clutch pushed in.

I haven't given up on the Caprice ECM yet, but running out of things to try.

Big thanks to kras007 for help with the needed wiring mods - once I got the ECM sorted everything worked out of the box. There are quite a few things that need to be changed and cut from the old harness. Nothing like a complete harness rework, but also not something I would recommend without some wiring/electrical experience.

Thanks to WAMS also, for the BCM rework. It arrived back to me just in time for it to be reinstalled.

Car is running great. Driveability has been perfect even with the cam. No idle dipping/surging/stalling. It's happy cruising as low as 1200rpm in 6th with no bucking/surging and with minimal tuning so far. I'd like to get it to idle a little smoother at idle, the lope sounds amazing but it pushes the car around side to side at stoplights :lol:
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Are you using the stock PPV MAF or did you change to the LS3 style card version?
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Stock MAF, it's the same part as what the GXP and SS use.