Gear shift selection

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
BossAwesome

Gear shift selection

Post by BossAwesome »

My car didn't come with tap shift, just has drive and low options. Is there anything I can do to my car to make it stay in the lowest gear possible when in low? Really hate how quickly early it shifts into 2nd from 1st, even in low, and I really hate how when punching it from a roll, I have to wait for the downshift, instead of being in the lowest gear possible already. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
2012 Caprice PPV 6.0
CrashTestDummy

Re: Gear shift selection

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Not sure what year you have, adding such information to a signature would be helpful in that matter, but depending on year, you may have a few options:
1. Add some external switches and get the BCM reprogrammed to enable tap shift. I think greasychevy did it this way.
2. Add a Speartech pigtail and gear selector indicator, and I think you are good to go. I think 12ppv did it this way.

Both of those options are mentioned in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1324&p=11780&hilit=tap+shift#p11780

3. Install a 9C3, G8 or SS console and get the BCM reprogrammed to enable tap shift. There a few who have done that, you can search for things like 'G8 and tap shift', 'G8 console', or just 'tap shift' and get several hits.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BossAwesome

Post by BossAwesome »

Thanks so much! Sorry forgot to mention, it's 2012 PPV with the 6.0. I'll definitely look into it.
2012 Caprice PPV 6.0
BossAwesome

Post by BossAwesome »

I'm leaning towards option number 2 right now. I found a link to it here http://www.speartech.com/product_p/tssb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How would I go about the E38/T43 reprogramming? Take it to a local tuner? Thanks again for your help!
2012 Caprice PPV 6.0