The dreaded Joy ride.

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
No Moa

The dreaded Joy ride.

Post by No Moa »

So some may have read my 2014 arrived off the truck as having some damage, and been the victim of a joy ride. blown and dismounted tire (in the trunk) front bumper, rear bumper, alignment, has a wicked vibration at speed, which I assume is because the spare is on and I dont' think it is balanced.

I have for 2 1/2 weeks been tracking down shippers, and the holding lot. I called the dealer it came from, my dealer, the wholesale buyer, etc etc. I have used the local trucking company before, so I don't worry about them, good group. I finally got ahold of the guy running the trucking company, he gave me the info on who picked it up, where the holding lot was, it was his lot, car was dropped, keys were locked in the office till the next day the car was picked up and brought to maine. They are a very reputable company, so I tend to believe what he says, and said of the paperwork/condition report. I called the chevy dealer it came from, talked to a salesman whom id emailed before I bought it. He said he would get me paperwork, and condition report when they did some recalls on it a week before it sold. steering rack, and alignment. Talked for 20 minutes. Claims it was not that way. I asked if there were more keys for it, mileage it had when they bought it (I already knew from the title).

Well, a week later, and no reply from the dealer. 5 emails, 2 calls, no return call. No paperwork. I guess the kicker should have been when we were talking he was dodgy, and laughed a few times. the trucking company states the underside of the car had "dryed" mud all over it.

As this point, i'm guessing the dealer is the culprit. It was there 5 days before the check arrived and the truck picked it up. Really pisses me off, I bought it wholesale so i'm f'd on that end and will have to eat the repairs. What a nightmare.
Thanks for reading.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: The dreaded Joy ride.

Post by elc32955 »

File a report through GM customer service, also consider talking directly to the dealer's zone rep. Dealers don't like GM up-channel heat. Just explain that the dealer is not answering questions and that you believe there was damage done to your vehicle during the time after it was sold but before it was shipped at this dealer based on their obstructive behavior. Put them on defense. What do you have to lose at this point? You may not get any money or compensation from it, but you might stop the cowboy rodeo if someone else gets a car shipped from this dealer. Enough complaints and the fickle finger of fate may descent on these folks... and, don't forget the possibility of those "goodwill repairs" we discussed in another thread.

Remember, the consumer/owner that screams the loudest and longest has a better chance of prevailing in the end. Especially if this is costing you $$$.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

I have given all the info to my dealer. They won't talk to anyone but him. If he doesn't make headway I will do just that. Call GM and their rep. If nothing else in the end I'll feel better. So tired of getting shit on, my jeep is been back 7 times for the same issue, and Chrysler basically says it's normal. BS.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
Evansbj91

Post by Evansbj91 »

Would you mind posting pics? Kind of interested what they did to it. Understand if you don't want to.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

I'll post some tomorrow from my computer. My phone won't shrink them.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
Evansbj91

Post by Evansbj91 »

No Moa wrote:I'll post some tomorrow from my computer. My phone won't shrink them.
I just saw your other thread so no worries. Hope you can whoever did it. If it was indeed the drop yard I would think the shipper was responsible and his insurance should pay for it.
Best of luck to you. Other than that it is perty! ;)
iboughtonetoo

Post by iboughtonetoo »

When I had mine shipped it took me a month to get it all sorted. Select the shipper and what not; run their record, streetview their address etc. I paid quite a bit above the going rate for the route and season, but it was delivered by a family company with 4 drivers, using new equipment and they stayed in touch with me the whole time. They even put it on the 2nd level, even though I never mentioned it.

I could have paid 300$ less and rolled the dice with some less than... competent hack. With shipping, a little money makes a huge difference. Avoid anyone that has a holding lot.. Also be flexible. Never give the driver stupid deadlines such as by 3pm on x date. That really seems to amp them up especially on a long haul.

All carriers are insured. Any claims have to go through their insurance company. And that has to happen at drop off. The moment they drop off the car with you and you see damage, demand they give you their insurance info. If you went through a broker, your broker will have that information, if the driver becomes difficult on the spot. Once you sign off on the delivery and make no notes on condition discrepancy, you are toast.

Since you don't think it was the shipper.. that makes it more complicated since the seller (dealer) will blame the shipper. I had mine send me the pick up condition slip signed by carrier before the car even left the origin state so I knew what to expect. The dealer has to sign the release form affirming condition at pick up. If everything was done correct, I can't fathom the responsible party not being easily identified.
2015 0 days in service. Carpet, factory SL delete. purch @ 86, nov 2016 hit 13000. yeah!
http://i.imgur.com/W52rR3H.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

The shipper was a well known company out of Maine, and I have used them before. I have all the info from them. And I talked to the guy in charge.

So after 5 calls to this dealer in ILL about this issue, there has been no reply, no call backs, nothing. to myself or my dealer. They are just a scumbag chevy dealer I guess. So i'm out about 2k in repairs. I will probably call GM and complain, though i'm sure it will do no good.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

$2k worth of damage???!!! I'd be screaming bloody murder from the highest rooftop in that dealer's city. You've definitely waited too long now for an effective response. At this point, I'd consider contacting every local TV station serving that market. Talk to each station's consumer reporter. Fax or email them copies of your bills, pictures of the damage, and tell them you're being stonewalled by the dealer. Start calling GM, Mary Barra's office. Make it known that you will not go away until you're compensated for this damage. Tell Mary Barra's office you've contacted KXYZ, KABX, and KRUD since this dealer's behavior is unprofessional, unethical, and stinks of corruption and collusion. Crank the heat to "blowtorch" from multiple different angles... The mere fact the dealer refuses to call you back is tacit admission of their desire & complicity to hide their guilt from you.

There's time to be nice, and then there's time to practice some good ole' fashioned carpet bombing. Don't walk bleating into the night on this one.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

Yup, front bumper, rear bumper, one tire and possibly a rim

I have been letting the buyer and my dealer dick around, I know we've waited to long, but I want on it the day it landed. We will see. My dealer is going to do the alignment for free. I contacted GM this morning.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.