Caprice sales figures

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

Caprice sales figures

Post by elc32955 »

For those that are interested, I recently found a open-source site that lists sales figures for all US cars, by month, based on factory-reported sales numbers.

The Caprice sales figures are very interesting. I don't think any of us realize how rare a car we actually do have. Right now the sales figures since Caprice sales started are at around 5,000 units sold in the USA (discounting the four lonely units that went to Canada). Now, I don't know how to quantify this vs. total production, nor do I have numbers on total builds. Figure that at least 90% or better of the cars titled have gone to fleets, with a certain amount still retained by dealers as "sold - titled" used cars or fleet demonstrators that were titled in GM's name. Cars driven by GM reps or staff have Michigan manufacturer tags on them and usually aren't titled. This means that very few of these cars are in private hands.

Here's a link to the current reported sales figures.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ch ... gures.html

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bkwagonss

Re: Caprice sales figures

Post by bkwagonss »

Interesting, only 880 cars built for the U.S. in 2011.
Being 273 doesn't seem so special. LOL
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Comparing the number of 2011 Caprices to say 1970 Plymouth Superbirds or 1984 (?) Monte Carlo Aerocoupes is interesting but not comapring Apples to Apples. For me the exciting part is that I don't see any like mine when I am driving it on the road.

I have never been impressed with the "1 of 1" because nobody else got this model in Royal Purple with Blue interior and an eight-track. It also does not bother me that at least two others on here have cars identical to mine. I don't see them every day. :D
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Had a moment this morning to review recent sales figures that have been made public. To date deliveries for Caprices have realized sales of 5,297 units over three model years. Deliveries of the Ford Taurus police car (since March, 2012) have realized sales of 10,767 units over two model years. Ford also sells a civilian version of the Taurus unlike Chevrolet, those figures were available but I didn't bother to pull them. Figures were also available for the Dodge Charger, but they don't separate the police units from the passenger units so I couldn't look at the numbers for comparison.

Statistically, based on these figures Ford is selling 2.032 Taurus police cars for every one Caprice delivered. They are both good vehicles without a doubt, but I'm not sure how GM's cost accountants view numbers like this in view of the continued viability of the PPV program, considering it's an off-shore manufactured vehicle right now with all the commensurate costs vs. US manufacture. Maybe the 2014 refresh and update will give the sales numbers a shot in the arm....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

maybe its just me, but the less they sell the better. I like being the only person around driving one.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

When I tried to insure my 9C3, the insurance company had not underwritten one yet. Took a week to quote.
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

May sales numbers are in, pretty dismal. 129 units sold, total cars is still in the 5600 range.
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

The strength of the Australian dollar has historically hurt Holden's export plans.
Because Australia's major export earner is our mining industry (which supplies china),
Australia has been one of the last countries to feel the global financial crisis....

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you want to look at things),
The crisis is starting to hit Australia, and our dollar is now becoming much weaker against the USD.

Holden has said previously that its near impossible to export cars when the AUD is 1.05 USD.
However they have also said that if the Australian dollar dropped below 0.95 USD, then exporting starts to become very viable.

Economists are predicting the AUD to drop below 0.90USD by the end of the year, which coincides nicely with the VF Chevrolet SS / Caprice release.

(Also Australia stopped production of the VE a couple of weeks ago, and are now producing VF models for local consumption).
So sales figures for the Caprice may look pretty bleak at the moment, but Holden has been concentrating on the VF launch for the last 2 months, so VE production and sales (locally) overall have been down as well....

Its going to be a couple of interesting months ahead :?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

June sales numbers are in, 511 units sold this month. Second best month for Caprice sales yet, someone must be "encouraging" the fleet reps to sellsellsell!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

...yeah, or they're giving them away, now that the 2014 model is coming with fixes that could make the agencies decide to wait instead of taking floor-shift models, which have been a real PITA.

2014 model could produce a sudden (albeit small) flood of 2011 PPV's into the used markets.

Taxi, Oh Taxi....?!?!?!? :mrgreen: