What's your experience in the snow?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
xcidmigs

Re: What's your experience in the snow?

Post by xcidmigs »

Are you using the RSA factory tires in the snow and stating its horrible? THey are proven to be just that, I'm shocked our new explorers are still coming with those mounted it cripples the AWD advantage and when they changed over to Michelin after about 20k its like a different vehicle in the snow and rain....
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

xcidmigs wrote:Are you using the RSA factory tires in the snow and stating its horrible? THey are proven to be just that, I'm shocked our new explorers are still coming with those mounted it cripples the AWD advantage and when they changed over to Michelin after about 20k its like a different vehicle in the snow and rain....
I have whatever came on the car in 2011. Not too worried about the tires with so few miles on them.

I will say I was shocked when I first looked at the tire pressure readings on the dash. I thought the guy had them over-inflated. Then I checked the tag and saw they were okay.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

yargnits wrote:
xcidmigs wrote:Are you using the RSA factory tires in the snow and stating its horrible? THey are proven to be just that, I'm shocked our new explorers are still coming with those mounted it cripples the AWD advantage and when they changed over to Michelin after about 20k its like a different vehicle in the snow and rain....
I have whatever came on the car in 2011. Not too worried about the tires with so few miles on them.

I will say I was shocked when I first looked at the tire pressure readings on the dash. I thought the guy had them over-inflated. Then I checked the tag and saw they were okay.
Tires make a huge difference in how the vehicle drives. My mud and snow tires do very well, if I had a more sporty tread I'm sure I'd have lots of issues.
krabykarl

Post by krabykarl »

Four 60lb bags of sand in the trunk got me through the aftermath of 30" of snow in January. Still have the RSA's and as said they suck. Don't know why they come stock must be cheap. They also came stock on my wife's SRT Challenger. She now runs Bridgestone Blazzaks with the same 240lbs of sand in the trunk in the winter. She never has problems modern snow tires are amazing.
Karl Breslaw
2014 Caprice 9C1, 6L
2010 Challenger SRT, 6.1L Auto
2005 GMC Savanna, 4.8L
1963 Nova Convertible, 350/TH200 4R
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Good discussion so far. I can't imagine running my B-Body Caprice without snow tires and weight in the trunk. And the studs DO help in the black ice conditions. One day this year, a highway suddenly froze into black ice and I didn't quite realize it. It was the first bad weather day of the year, and everyone was driving 20MPH in a 65 with their hazards on. I thought it was just paranoia since it was the first (happens every year), so I just started passing people in the fast lane. With the studs, my car didn't care, I was able to stop and go with no problems on the ice (within reason). I realized it was black ice when 5 miles ahead, people were spun out all over the place. Had to wait in that traffic mess for an hour for it to get cleaned up. I can only wish a PPV with snow tires (and maybe studs) would perform that well.

I'm a firm believer in snow tires (and even studs) in the winter if you live north. The studs do suck for any amount of performance driving in any conditions, but once I go into winter mode, that's fine. Winter is just survival mode until summer. The summer is for having fun.

Keep the stories coming...
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Firestone Winterforce x four on my car, excellent results in Mpls.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

My co worker with the POV 05 crown vic just showed me his set of 4 snows, they look nothing like the ones i recall from 15 years ago that looked like mud type truck tires and made the rear of the car sit up higher. He also has a single 50lb sand bag on either side of the spare tire in the trunk. Doesn't sit low and i took a ride with him last week, car drove completely normal. He claims he's looking forward to driving to work tomorrow with the last snow of the season (hopefully) that we are supposed to get.