New Holden Caprice unveiled

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Troutman

New Holden Caprice unveiled

Post by Troutman »

G'day all,

For anyone interested, details have finally come to light of the new "WN" series Caprice. The exterior is unchanged except for new 19" wheels (previously 18") and chrome door handles.

The interior is all-new and the V8 model has features like 8" touchscreen with live traffic alerts, voice recognition, "MyLink" app integration, blind spot alert, auto park assist, forward collision alert, lane depature warning and a new rear entertainment system with dual flip-up screens.

The updated PPV has not been properly unveiled but will feature a basic version of the new interior including a column-style shifter.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/231314/hold ... -flagship/
gregc

Re: New Holden Caprice unveiled

Post by gregc »

Too bad our PPV will have probably have a stripped down version of the Mylink. Our seats will probably remain the same since it was specifically engineered for the PPV. I will have to hunt down a 9C3 since there will be slim pickings soon.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Cool -- controls on the door panel. That's a welcomed departure from typical Holden design where everything is on the console.

I don't need the rest of the high-tech crap. A car is meant to be driven. And the act of driving a car should be enjoyable by itself. If it is not, then you bought the wrong car. The extra gadgets just get in the way. Until a car drives itself like KITT (and even that could be a bad thing), I don't need or want these distractions. Screw the marketing hype. Get in the car. Listen to the V8 roar to life. Mash the gas pedal. Windows down. Do a burnout with the proper wheels. What more do you need?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Motor Authority has just released an article:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1084 ... aprice-ppv
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Troutman, thanks for the link.

Is there ANY indication that WN platform changes also included mass-reduction techniques employed in VF?
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

storm9c1 wrote:Cool -- controls on the door panel. That's a welcomed departure from typical Holden design where everything is on the console.
you can thank the 9C1 for ushering in that change ...
gregc

Post by gregc »

storm9c1 wrote:Cool -- controls on the door panel. That's a welcomed departure from typical Holden design where everything is on the console.

I don't need the rest of the high-tech crap. A car is meant to be driven. And the act of driving a car should be enjoyable by itself. If it is not, then you bought the wrong car. The extra gadgets just get in the way. Until a car drives itself like KITT (and even that could be a bad thing), I don't need or want these distractions. Screw the marketing hype. Get in the car. Listen to the V8 roar to life. Mash the gas pedal. Windows down. Do a burnout with the proper wheels. What more do you need?

I need my iPod integration and Bluetooth, If its going to be my daily driver. I won't consider the WN Caprice anyway since it won't have the floor shifter anymore.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Navy Lifer wrote:Troutman, thanks for the link.

Is there ANY indication that WN platform changes also included mass-reduction techniques employed in VF?
You're welcome. The VF includes aluminium (sorry, aluminum ;) ) for the bonnet (sorry, hood ;) ) and bootlid (sorry, trunk ;) ) whereas the Caprice retains the same steel items as its predecessor. There may be some suspension changes but no real weight reductions are expected.
95_9C1 wrote:you can thank the 9C1 for ushering in that change ...
You might find the Buick variant pre-dates even the 9C1. (pic)