Any issues owning a Caprice?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
MustangEater82

Any issues owning a Caprice?

Post by MustangEater82 »

I have been browsing some 2014s...

Anyone have any issues? like problems getting insured, or taxed? Issues getting parts?

Other then that any PPV specific issues to be concerned about right off the bat?

thank you.
9C1fanatic

Re: Any issues owning a Caprice?

Post by 9C1fanatic »

No issues whatsoever getting parts in my part of the world in Texas. Don't let the rumors scare you this is not the first fleet only vehicle to be sold in this country and it's definatly not the rarest vehicle on the roads. This car also shares many parts with other vehicles on the same platform and power train parts with many other common GM vehicles . If you're looking at 2014s just be aware of that many of them have issues with the electric power steering racks Supposedly there's an updated design but I can tell you that we have seen failures on about 30% of our 2014's I have a 2014 patrol car and a 2014 personal car and the rack has failed on the patrol car so far not on the personal car Just do your research if it's a used car chances are it may of already been done but otherwise there's been no issues with the cars they've been great I don't know if this is true but I've been told by a few of the text that are local Chevrolet dealer that the 2014 in Newark cars are more intuitive to work on when it comes to diagnostics than the earlier cars I've been told that the 2014 the newer cars electrical systems are more similar to that of other GM cars in North America where is the 2013 and older cars are more along the lines of the traditional holden set ups
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

just an insatiable urge to go around in stealth mode showing tailpipes to surprised owners of "hot" cars that think the car is a FWD Impala or Malibu....and the perma-grin on your face straining your facial muscles when you realize how much fun it is to own one of these rare things--and with cash still in your pocket to play with and mod the thing just like a G8 or SS because you were able to buy it for so little money compared to anything else.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome to the system!

As far as any major issues, be aware that the 6.0 cars have had some reported problems with the DoD lifters for those vehicles formerly in police service. It appears based on anecdotal evidence that extended idle times may possibly translate to more frequent lifter failure. The silver bullet for this is to install the DoD delete kit (and maybe at the same time go with another cam if you want to since it's all open to do the lifter swap). Not saying you WILL have issues down the road if you buy a used 2014 that was in fleet service, but just making you aware that other 6.0 owners with the L77 engine have had issues. If there's powertrain warranty left on the motor, GM should pay for the repair if it goes south on you. But this alone wouldn't make me afraid of the car(s), all of the 6.0 Caprices from 2011-2016 have DoD lifters in the motor. My 2011 is at 73K and so far so good.

Other then that, nothing except the steering issues Garner referenced in his previous post. Personally I'd be more apprehensive on the electric steering assist with the 2014 & up cars, this has been reported by other fleet users as well and there's some posts on this topic in the steering section. I used to own a Pontiac G6 several years back that my wife drove, a few times on that car we had the electric assist do the funky chicken on us. It's an odd feeling watching your steering wheel go back and forth on it's own when the car is stopped and in park.

But all in all they're wonderful cars, the best bang for the buck right now that GM offers. Hope you find a car you like soon, if you have any questions never be afraid to ask if you can't find your answer on a quick search.

Again, welcome and good luck.
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

insurance is not only "no problem" but price is on level with 4 cylinder family sedans :)
CraigslistHero

Post by CraigslistHero »

For full coverage on my 2012 6.0 its only $114 a month from Allstate. My 2005 Tahoe ppv was $109 a month with just liability from state farm. As for lifter tick, its pretty much a given that it will eventually happen. If you fix it yourself you are looking at around $450-500 for parts and fluids. I'll have right at $800 in my parts including my cam and the supporting mods and I'll be looking at $575 for a dyno tune.
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I wouldn't hesitate to get one. It's the most fun automobile I've had in quite a while, and for not a lot of money. Mine was about to take a dump due to the AFM lifters (see my post in the L77 engine section at the top, where I did the cam/exhaust/converter over Christmas). I would just plan on a cam swap as an eventuality, and would do it sooner than later. Bad lifters can wipe out more than just the cam when they finally give up altogether.

I bought mine a year ago with 100k miles. It now has 123k miles. I haven't had a single other problem. The car handles and brakes better than it should given the weight of the car. Parts aren't really an issue. I've ordered up a number of odds and ends at gmpartscenter.net with no hassle. Beware, some parts are priced in the stupid zone, but many are the same as other GM stuff, and more in line. I'd like new headlight assemblies (one with a cracked tab, the other the running light doesn't work so I pulled the bulbs on both sides). They've gone up to $617 each! That's nuts!

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts ... nents-scat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow! I think they're like $300 each for a NNBS Tahoe!! I picked up a pair to have for _when_ the lenses haze completely over.

My two biggest issues are/were that when I initially tried to get the car insured, my insurance company, or at least the person I was talking to, didn't have the VIN in their database. I said it's Australian, and then she started saying 'oh, it's gray market?' I told her no it's an import and a retired US police department patrol car. We got it figured out, but I was wondering for a bit.

The other problem is the dizzying array of mods you can do and the different directions you can go, with all of the directions good ones. It just depends on your budget, but you are starting with a car with G8/SS/CTS performance at sh1tbox prices!! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

When I went to write this today, they were $445 each last I looked, which I thought was sky high. Now they're higher.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, $900 is pretty steep for a pair of headlight buckets. Still, I may eventually order a set, so I have nice ones available when we retire this car from DD duty.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?