Cold Start Piston Slap More of a rant then anything

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
krabykarl

Cold Start Piston Slap More of a rant then anything

Post by krabykarl »

My '14 has a moderately loud case of the dreaded LS slap. Had to take it to the dealer for a couple of recalls (electric power steering and rear suspension). I asked the service writer to have the tech check out the slap for I feel it's excessive. It does go away after about 90 seconds, does not come back and only happens when cold. I also had them change the oil since I get 2 years free oil changes. So the guy calls me to say the car is done. I ask about the rap and he tells me there is a TSB about loud injectors and fuel pump. I reply I've heard my share of injector ticks and whinny fuel pumps and this is not it. Besides those noises don't go away when warm. He says this is the first thing they check and will enclose a copy of the TSB for me. Pick up the car after hours (big mistake) and check out the TSB. It's for direct injected V6's. Says it right on the bottom of the page in bold typeface. I figure one of two things. Either the guy is a total incompetent (he didn't even have to count spark plugs it says the motor right in the vin) or he's blowing smoke to get rid of my complaint. Either way I've decided to pretty much drop it. There's really not much they can do and at least now it's been noted on the service history. I can't wait for this service writers customer survey to arrive. He can kiss his bonus goodbye.
Karl Breslaw
2014 Caprice 9C1, 6L
2010 Challenger SRT, 6.1L Auto
2005 GMC Savanna, 4.8L
1963 Nova Convertible, 350/TH200 4R