Autocrossing

This section is for all your track and racing topics. Sanctioned events, test n' tune, competitive track & racing at public facilities, off-street drag events, it all goes in here.
Vanguard

Autocrossing

Post by Vanguard »

Is anyone autocrossing your PPV? I'd like to give it a try in the spring. Any tips?
Vanguard
2013, Silver 9C3, DoD Delete, LS3 cam, Rotofab intake, Solo Exhaust, NGK, Eibach, Konig
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Autocrossing

Post by Navy Lifer »

Proper seat support is probably one of the things that would help, and a 4-point (or more) harness.
https://www.schrothracing.com/post/stre ... -harnesses

Obviously if you were to get really serious, there's tires/wheels, sway bars, springs (to a lesser degree) and possibly shocks to consider. OE brakes are good, but it's easy enough to move up to full-Brembo if desired.

I wouldn't spend money on modifying the engine further until some time is spent in the auto-x environment and learning the car behavior & capability, using the traction control & stabilitrak on/off features, the transmission shift features (if you have Sport mode available), etc.

Attachments
2018 ISSCA Nationals - Norwalk Ohio
2018 ISSCA Nationals - Norwalk Ohio
PPV ISSCA AutoX 2018.jpg (4.27 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Thank you.
Vanguard
2013, Silver 9C3, DoD Delete, LS3 cam, Rotofab intake, Solo Exhaust, NGK, Eibach, Konig
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Everything Bill says is good. These are big, heavy cars, so being competitive can be an issue, unless you are VERY good. It takes a while to be VERY good, so be patient. Go to have fun and enjoy the car. If you're going with the expectation of winning, and will be disappointed if you don't, remember, you're brining a spaghetti noodle to a gun fight. :lol:

Do NOT do any mods to the car until you learn the rules, as the 'wrong' mod can bump you into a high-prep class you'll just get crushed in. Allowed modifications are different for the different classes. When we first took my wife's 98 Dakota R/T to an event, the only mod we had were shorty headers. That mod alone bumped the truck to E Street Prepared. The truck did surprisingly-well, much to the chagrin of a couple of Mustang owners, but we would have probably done much better in F Stock.

Anyway, learn to disable as many of the car-nannies as you can, you may want to add 5-10 PSI to the tires all the way around, and go have fun. I think Snell SA2010/SAH2010/M2010 or better helmets are required now, and while many Regions will have loaner helmets, your own to put your sweaty head into is always much better. More SCCA rules can be found here:

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

We've also added CG-Locks in both of our DDs, which help keep you in the seat, always, but especially in autocross situations. Unfortunately, CG-Locks are no longer made, so while giving the belt a turn as you're buckling it helps, you may want to search for 'CG-Lock alternative' to see what else is out there to help. It looks like the CG-Lock folks have a new product called 'Short', or 'Safety Belt Cinch' that might be an alternative:

https://safetybeltcinch.com

I have no practical experience with this product, though.

On our 95 SS and 86 SVO, we installed 5-point harnesses with the shoulder harness attaching to the rear seat seatbelt anchors, but that would only work in an autocross situation. Simple 3" lap belts can help a lot, too, but you may want to fasten those and then your factory seat belt, just in case.

These cars ARE fun to autocross, though, in spite of their size. Smooth inputs are key, though, as even with the safety controls turned off, they're never really turned completely off.

Your car will have to pass a standard tech check when you get there. It's not a very big deal, but make sure you have any floor mats out of the driver's footwell, there's tread on all of the tires, you have all the lug nuts attached (no broken studs), make sure the batteries are secure, and any loose things out of the car before running.

Have fun!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?