'12 PPV to "Sport Sedan" build documentary

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
65 Z-16

'12 PPV to "Sport Sedan" build documentary

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Ok,
I've had my 2012 9C1 for about 2 weeks and have hooked up rear windows as per these forums (many thanks, btw for the amazing amount of really good info everyone has posted to date; I want you all to know I appreciate you sharing your knowledge) and installed a $5 Autozone cup holder on my industrial cop console - notched to fit shifter, lol.
But today I'm starting my build for real. I dropped it off with my painter for a quick coat of GM Phantom Black on the doors and roof only. It's just temporary (6-12 months) so I can drive it around town w/out all the attention it gets now, a 30-30 paint job in a nice shade of invisible please, lol. I'll figure out it's permanent finish as the build evolves. I'm waiting on ups for an HPTuners MVII and an '09 G8 console w/shifter, switches, e-brake, and harness pigtail. They're both scheduled to arrive Monday, which works out well as my painter will have it done and g2g Sunday evening, yay!
In the meantime, here's a couple pics I took right after it's 250 mile trip home from the seller, road grime n all:
20220411_195039.jpg
20220411_195039.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1965 times
So those are the "before" pics. I'll post my initial plans to build a what-if "Sports Sedan" SS model that Chevy could of/should of offered in the next post.
Attachments
20220411_195056.jpg
20220411_195056.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1965 times
65 Z-16

Re: '12 PPV to "Sport Sedan" build documentary

Post by 65 Z-16 »

..ok, 2 posts.
This one for the immediate future and the next outlining my "vision."

Like I mentioned, I've got a console and a tuner on the way. I want the console primarily for the TUTD ability. I've learned quite a bit about the swap right here but still have a couple questions.
1, will the "console pigtail" that's coming included, plug into the harness of a '12 9C1? 1b, is that all the wiring needed? (i'll use my HPTuner for tutd in tcm).
2. Can this swap be done bit by bit as a dd? *I have another dd, but can only leave it inoperable for 2-3 days due to space limitations. Plus I'm getting old and irritatingly slow.
I also have a definite learning curve ahead of me re: HPTuner, and I can't wait to get into it! I bought it this early in the build so I could start learning it, beginning with disabling DOD and enabling TUTD.
I promise, NEXT post I'll share my vision of where I want to go with this build. I'm kinda counting on you guys to answer my dumb questions and offer valuable advise and opinion along the way. I haven't found a better resource for these cars - nothing even close, so I feel like I'm in good hands 🙃
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Pretty sure you don’t need HP Tuners for the 11-13’s to make the TUTD work. You just need to tie a wire or two into the BCM. Should be able to do a little installation at a time and still be able to drive it. I pushing 64, so I understand the slow and old comment.
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Sanford wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:07 pm Pretty sure you don’t need HP Tuners for the 11-13’s to make the TUTD work. You just need to tie a wire or two into the BCM. Should be able to do a little installation at a time and still be able to drive it. I pushing 64, so I understand the slow and old comment.
I'm not sure how I feel about not needing HP Tuner for tutd, hehe. That's 1 of my primary excuses for getting the tuner. I hope I can find ~some~ other use for it B]

It looks like we're both from the days of rejetting carbs and recurving distributers which, for me anyhow, ended when I got the keys to my 9C1 a couple weeks ago. I've been wanting to learn how to tune electronically for awhile anyways and these PPV's seem like the ideal platform to learn on.

Man - I can't wait till mine comes back from the paint shop in 1 color! my painter tells me Tuesday now instead of tomorrow (Sunday), bummer for sure but it don't seem wise to hurry up the painter, or otherwise piss him off so I guess waiting is about all I CAN do. /sigh...
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

You can still use HP tuners to turn the DOD off and play around with the tuning a little. The single color cars don’t get too many looks around here as it has been several years since there were any in service in my area. I have a Panda that seems to have some effect on the ones driving 80-85 in 65 mph zones. Wife won’t ride in it and daughters won’t drive it as a loaner.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ours, all black, regularly get folks flying up beside the car to go by, only to stand on the brakes when they finally see the spotlight. Odd, as the roof is 'sporting' 5 stub antennas. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

65 Z-16 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:52 am
Sanford wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:07 pm Pretty sure you don’t need HP Tuners for the 11-13’s to make the TUTD work. You just need to tie a wire or two into the BCM. Should be able to do a little installation at a time and still be able to drive it. I pushing 64, so I understand the slow and old comment.
I'm not sure how I feel about not needing HP Tuner for tutd, hehe. That's 1 of my primary excuses for getting the tuner. I hope I can find ~some~ other use for it B]

It looks like we're both from the days of rejetting carbs and recurving distributers which, for me anyhow, ended when I got the keys to my 9C1 a couple weeks ago. I've been wanting to learn how to tune electronically for awhile anyways and these PPV's seem like the ideal platform to learn on.

Man - I can't wait till mine comes back from the paint shop in 1 color! my painter tells me Tuesday now instead of tomorrow (Sunday), bummer for sure but it don't seem wise to hurry up the painter, or otherwise piss him off so I guess waiting is about all I CAN do. /sigh...
So count on the Thursday a week and 2 days after the Tuesday you were told. Body/paint guys have ZERO concept of time!! :)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:31 pm Ours, all black, regularly get folks flying up beside the car to go by, only to stand on the brakes when they finally see the spotlight. Odd, as the roof is 'sporting' 5 stub antennas. :lol:
/smirk now, THATS funny I can appreciate!
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:35 pm
65 Z-16 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:52 am

So count on the Thursday a week and 2 days after the Tuesday you were told. Body/paint guys have ZERO concept of time!! :)
so, in other words, it should be ready around the 2nd Tuesday of next week. Sounds legit.
To misquote Blimpy; 'I'll happily pay you Tuesday for my paint job today!"
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

65 Z-16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:06 am I promise, NEXT post I'll share my vision of where I want to go with this build. I'm kinda counting on you guys to answer my dumb questions and offer valuable advise and opinion along the way. I haven't found a better resource for these cars - nothing even close, so I feel like I'm in good hands 🙃
lol, but I digress..
my build, or more accurately my vision of the build, goes something along these lines to turn my 2012 9C1 into a "Sport Sedan." Idk if there's any specific definition of "sport sedan," but I would define it as a full-size sedan intended for highway performance and comfort. Practically, a car that can be enjoyed for extended periods on the interstate and still be fun to drive on twisty 2-lane highways. Diametrically opposed goals? perhaps, but if any cars are capable of the challenge, our PPV's would certainly be, imo. Compromises would have to be made of course but idk of a better platform to use a foundation. I also believe, perhaps naively, that it's a great platform to teach old gearheads like me about the wonders of computer tuning and all the other conveniences of modern living. And finally in this stage of outlining the basic principles and planning behind my build, I said it's intended to be a "what-if GM had offered x,x, & x options" car, meaning most, if not all of the parts sourced ought to be equivalent at least to something available on a model GM made w/in a reasonable period of time around date of manufacture. To illustrate just how loosely I might interpret a "reasonable amount of time," lol, I'm not above using the SS badging that has historically stood for "Super Sport" in Dearborn to now mean a more relevant to the times "Sports Sedan."
So, what does all this theory and subjectivity mean when the rubber hits the road? (lol, proud to work that phrase into an automotive discussion - yes) I think it means some creature comfort mods inside beginning with a more civilized console and tutd shifting, carpeting, and a tint. I think it means finding a balance between lowering the car and stuffing in the biggest SQUARE dimensioned rims and tires to improve both looks and handling, and it means the basics re: horsepower (CAI, bigger factory exhaust, muffler cut-outs, a DOD-delete cam out of the GM Performance Parts Catalog, and an appropriate tune as per HP Tuner).
I know that's alot to sift through but I would very much like you all's opinions, including pointing out any glaring errors of assumption I may not be aware of. I may not necessarily follow every piece of advise, but please believe I value and incorporate your ideas as I plan - and wait for my paint job to be done, lol