'12 PPV to "Sport Sedan" build documentary

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
BarryM

Re: '12 PPV to "Sport Sedan" build documentary

Post by BarryM »

You really can't go wrong with these cars - sleeper sedans.

My opinion (as a result of my build) - if you want 'twisties' performance - use a cam that doesn't need a stall converter. Increased stall speed can prove problematic. Heat and a torque ramp profile that challenges a heavy car trying to turn.

Upgraded brakes - I believe that may be next on my list.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

OK, I give up. What does "TUTD" mean?
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Tap Up / Tap Down - I think.. related to shifting.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Damn it. I figured it would be something simple! Thanks!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

BarryM wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:44 am You really can't go wrong with these cars - sleeper sedans.

My opinion (as a result of my build) - if you want 'twisties' performance - use a cam that doesn't need a stall converter. Increased stall speed can prove problematic. Heat and a torque ramp profile that challenges a heavy car trying to turn.

Upgraded brakes - I believe that may be next on my list.
You just need more pedal application! We have a 96 Impala SS that we bought from a friend who drag raced the car. It's a 10-second bolt-on car. With the converter, it does feel 'heavy' when driving it normally. Pounce on the throttle pedal, though, and the thing really comes alive. It's actually hard to spin the tires, but just accelerates like crazy with enough loud pedal application. We've had ZERO issues with heat with the thing.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Just a quick update on my build: I got my car back from my painter and it's exactly what I asked for; a quick 30-30 paint job in a dark shade of invisible. It was hard to make him understand that it didn't need to be perfect bcuz we would be painting again after other mods were done, which might include spoilers, splitters, and potentially even fender rolling. I just want to be less noticeable while these things are done. but he did good. it's now all black, and it got done over a weekend. /thumbs up
Other progress hasn't been as clear. The g8 console and shifter I ordered came in yesterday. you'd think a $550 console would arrive without this many cracked and broken pieces. it looks like it was literally ripped from the donor car without any tools, just a bare-handed YANK! Really disappointed by the junk I bought and hope I can salvage some useful pieces from it.
Finally, there appears to be a steeper learning curve than I imagined with HP Tuners MVI2. I can read my cars tune, I can alter it, have yet to successfully write any changes to it (just looking to disable DOD and reset speed limiter from 130 to 256 mph). /sigh... I haven't given up on HP Tuners or swapping consoles but I may turn to getting it lowered and on new rims/tires as I think thru these 1st frustrations.
Pics of temp paint job to come (still needs to be cleaned up post-paint job)
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Heya all,
It's been a couple weeks and I've been busy with my car so it seems like a good time for an update on my build.
I got the doors and roof painted a nice shade of invisible, the back doors have been de-criminalized with fully functional interior door/window controls. I found some cheap 18" trim rings at Autozone that give my steelies and dog-dishes an old-school "Rally Wheel" look.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot - I got my H&R Adjustable Coilovers installed too.
here's a few then and now pics:
20220411_195039.jpg
20220411_195039.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1794 times
20220513_175134.jpg
20220513_175134.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1794 times
20220411_195056.jpg
20220411_195056.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1794 times
20220513_175104.jpg
20220513_175104.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1794 times
I've also just started to learn about tuning with HP Tuner MVPI2 and have made a couple minor changes to my stock tune. That subject itself is amazingly DEEP and is more than enough to keep me busy, lol!
But yeah, I've had the car for 5 weeks; the Build is progressing nicely so far and I love the car more every day. 🤩
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

20220513_175337.jpg
20220513_175337.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1794 times
There's a shot of my ride height after 2 days of driving and 1 adjustment to the rears. not aligned yet. I thought I'd drive it for a week or 2 to let things stabilize first and then make any final RH adjustments before putting it on the alignment rack. I can tell it needs to be aligned now at this ride height, but it isn't bad.
not scary bad....
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Looks cool
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

We've had cars badged all over the place. My original 2011 9C3 was badged with the white "SS" logo on the rear, in fact the part number for the rear badge is in the site database. We've had at least one car completely badged as an Impala just to screw with the uninformed public. Lots of folks use Holden badging, unfortunately that one is lost on a majority of the motoring public as far as significance. So really the sky's the limit as far as what you want to do.

Then you always have the most extreme example of "badging", the infamous Chicken Car down in Louisiana..... that one is just... just.... :shock: :shock: :shock: (and the dealer stuck with it STILL hasn't sold it!).

So yes, a Sport Sedan is perfectly situated in the wheelhouse.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.