2014 Caprice Turbo Cheap paper build- Lets build it together.

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
Turbopowered68

2014 Caprice Turbo Cheap paper build- Lets build it together.

Post by Turbopowered68 »

I would like to turbo my 2014 Caprice.
I personally can't justify the professional shop's price tag. NOT that it's not worth it, but I am not a pro racer or even a part time racer I might hit the track twice a year if that.
Now that that is out of the way lets get cheap.

I looked at the Hooker Turbo headers and for under $1000.00 it seems like a good deal. BUT with our cars having the AC in lower pass side the Hookers require AC delete or relocation.
AC delete is not an option so relocation must be it.
Does anyone know if the truck "high alt low power steering" accessories bracket fit under the hood and in the engine compartment with no to little work?
If so that would allow for cheap Ebay AC relocation bracket to the top pass side which will be perfect for the Hooker headers.
Or even stock manifolds forward down facing.
What do you guys think?
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears
BluesBro

Re: 2014 Caprice Turbo Cheap paper build- Lets build it together.

Post by BluesBro »

I don't know if the truck accessories will clear the hood, but ditching the hood all together would give you plenty of room for stock manifolds facing upward.

Aside from that you could try to find an AGP setup for a Camaro used or just buy the parts you need. The AGP setup mounts the turbos low where the cats are.

I'm trying to plan a similar cheapish setup for the "race car" and when crunching the numbers its going to be a better idea just to get a TIG and make up what I need.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

https://www.cxracing.com/turbo-kit/turb ... ARO0915-IC

I've often thought about this kit. That's a cheap price for almost everything you'd need and I'm of the belief that if it'll fit a Camaro it'll come real close to fitting our cars.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I've looked at that cx racing kit before, not bad looking for the price.

My main concerns with that setup is heat management and relocations. If you look close lots of little things need to be moved around to make it fit. On a track oriented car the heat could be managed just fine, a car that spent a lot of time on road would run into issues.

Looking at older member builds there are lots of great solutions.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

BluesBro wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:43 am I've looked at that cx racing kit before, not bad looking for the price.

My main concerns with that setup is heat management and relocations. If you look close lots of little things need to be moved around to make it fit. On a track oriented car the heat could be managed just fine, a car that spent a lot of time on road would run into issues.

Looking at older member builds there are lots of great solutions.
I totally think there is a better way to do it, but as for a "cheap" turbo build this might be the easiest and cheapest option to explore. I'm not a fan of some of the exhaust piping but that's a decent kit to get started with a cheap build.