2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
rcg530

2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by rcg530 »

I finally located and purchased a project car for my YouTube channel. It's a 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. The body/paint are in horrible condition and that will take some time to get corrected. It was formerly used by the San Joaquin County Sheriff's department in California.

This car has the 6.0L V8 L77 engine and it currently has 111K miles on the odometer. This car needs a lot of work and that should make it a great video subject over the next several months (depending on how the COVID-19 situation impacts my part sources and local automotive companies).

I'm working through the critical maintenance and safety items first (engine oil/filter change, brake fluid flush, HVAC/engine filter, removing leftover upfitter wiring, rear seat belt installation, new tires/wheels, rekeying and getting FOBs working) then I'll move on to things like suspension upgrade(s), center console upgrade, adding a backup camera/upgrading radio head unit and finally getting the body/paint into decent shape.

I've already removed the AUX battery hardware in the trunk and cleaned up the wiring in the trunk compartment. I was lucky enough to obtain several items from a 2017 PPV in a local wrecking yard this past week (hood, trunk lid - with backup camera/cabling, rear seat belts/buckles, door weather seals (body side), radio trim bezel, a-pillar trim pieces).

I formerly owned a 2017 Chevy SS sedan that I sold back in January to fund my company and fund this Caprice project for my YouTube channel.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it should be interesting!
Attachments
caprice_intro_pic.jpg
caprice_intro_pic.jpg (814.47 KiB) Viewed 11766 times
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
Mooseman

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by Mooseman »

Should make for a good project with a solid base foundation. It will be interesting to follow.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

I update you on the status of the work on my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV project car. I've been busy checking out the car and ordering parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KePR1o4ViJo
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

Why are you replacing the hood and trunk lid?
Is there damage to the existing ones?
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

shawnjon82 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:25 am Why are you replacing the hood and trunk lid?
Is there damage to the existing ones?
Yes, there's a good amount of (minor) dents in both the hood and trunk lid. The hood and trunk lid were fairly cheap from the 2017 Caprice in the wrecking yard. It was easier to purchase those instead of attempting to repair the ones that came on my car.

Plus, the trunk lid from the 2017 has the backup camera/trunk lid harness. I'm going to obtain a wire harness to connect the rear camera to the radio head unit and I'll get the radio head unit reprogrammed to enable the backup camera.
rcg530

How To: Chevy Caprice PPV - Replace - Cabin Air Filter / Engine Air Filter / Windshield Trim

Post by rcg530 »

In this YouTube video, I show the steps to replace the cabin air filter, engine air filter and windshield cowl plastic trim on my 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0zbKt5p28
rcg530

Project Car Status Update - 4/19/2020

Post by rcg530 »

I've installed a trunk lid with a backup camera, backup camera wiring harness, a Thinkware F800 Pro 2-channel dash camera and a Cellink B battery pack to power the camera during parking mode, replaced the front seats, replaced the steering wheel, added a third brake light pulser, repaired the third brake light weather stripping, re-enabled the rear door inside pull handles and much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUKQVD0um9U
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Good info. Thanks for talking about the cabin filter too. I never thought of changing it (out of sight, out of mind) and I'm pretty sure it was never serviced in its past. Ordered one so that I have it when I get my PPV out of winter storage. Should be here sometime next month :|
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:26 am Good info. Thanks for talking about the cabin filter too. I never thought of changing it (out of sight, out of mind) and I'm pretty sure it was never serviced in its past. Ordered one so that I have it when I get my PPV out of winter storage. Should be here sometime next month :|
Cabin air filters are one of the most overlooked maintenance items in a car. The one I removed from my Caprice looked like it had become a science experiment at some point along the line. :lol: The air coming into the passenger compartment does smell better after changing it.
rcg530

Upgrade Brakes/Rotors - Replace Front Wheel Hub Assemblies

Post by rcg530 »

I upgrade the brakes on my 2014 Caprice PPV with Powerstop Z23 Evolution Sport rotors/pads and I replace the front wheel hub assemblies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSbtAfyzCE