LFX to L77

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
Ducman21

LFX to L77

Post by Ducman21 »

Has anyone swap the v6 out for the V8 engine and tranny?....If so how hard was it to do and what's all that's need besides powertrain?Thanks for any advise or suggestions in advance,and if any photos you have will be greatly appreciated.
s/c'd cav

Re: LFX to L77

Post by s/c'd cav »

you will need a complete engine harness

your best bet is to buy a wrecked V8 car that is your year
Ducman21

Post by Ducman21 »

ok thanks
Tansman

Post by Tansman »

It would probably be cheaper to sell the V6 car and pick up a V8 at auction.
2012 Chevy Caprice- VSR80 turbo, BTR stage 2, 3.45s, camaro wheels, meth injection (racecar/ weekend car)
2007 Honda Civic SI- Sedan- intake, exhaust, Skunk2 short shifter, shift bushings (wife's daily)
2005 Chevy tahoe- Cold air intake, everything else stock! (The family car)
2000 Honda civic Hatchback- lowered, rota slip wheels. (My daily)
Skyhighsami

Post by Skyhighsami »

I'm in the market for a Caprice and I plan to heavily modify it. Would buying a V6 work if I was planning to buy a LS3 or LSA pullout? I would plan on finding a pullout as complete as possible. Does anyone know if Chevrolet put in smaller rear end and axles or a weaker version of the 6L80E? Would I need to look for a pullout transmission and all or would sourcing the motor by itself be enough allowing me to reuse the transmission behind the V6?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Skyhighsami wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:12 pm I'm in the market for a Caprice and I plan to heavily modify it. Would buying a V6 work if I was planning to buy a LS3 or LSA pullout? I would plan on finding a pullout as complete as possible. Does anyone know if Chevrolet put in smaller rear end and axles or a weaker version of the 6L80E? Would I need to look for a pullout transmission and all or would sourcing the motor by itself be enough allowing me to reuse the transmission behind the V6?
for the millionth time , NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you want to spend 5-10k ontop of the cost of the v6 car , and that is the minimum range
Skyhighsami

Post by Skyhighsami »

Ok, sorry I was thinking if I was planning to swap in a LS3 or LSA pullout if it would be financially viable. Since these cars have so many interchangeable parts I wasn't sure if it would be easier to find a V6 that wasn't used as a pursuit vehicle.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the V6 are just as beat up as the V8's , my local PD has moslty V6's

the engine harness is the biggest issue of why to get the V8 to start with , since most people that part them out sell the harness with the engine and they get butchered , instead of staying with the car , getting the other parts are some what easier , then you still need the trans
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Just to bump this with correct info for those wanting to do this.

Most the time it will not be worth it, you are better off finding a V8 car.

That being said, if you REALLY want to, you will need
L77/6L80E complete with all accessories, sensors, manifolds, cats, and mount brackets (mounts themselves are the same)
Coolant hoses, AC hoses, PS hoses (11-13), brake booster hose, radiator (fan is the same)
Engine harness
ECM and bracket
FPCM
Front power harness (from jump post to engine/fuse box)
V8 driveshaft and couplers
V8 Caprice/G8/SS/Camaro differential

In addition to the above, the fuel pump itself is different. It will likely flow enough for a stock V8 but the ZL1 pump units are so cheap it doesn't make sense to skip it, since you will be in balls deep anyway.

You can see, if you had to track all this down it would be very expensive. Only reason this would make sense would be if you had a wrecked V8 with all these parts and a V6 chassis you wanted to keep. Otherwise it's cheaper to just buy one.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Just a few more tidbits of things you will need to do the swap. The V-6 fuel line comes up on the passenger side and the V-8 line comes up at about the middle of the firewall. Would need a custom flex fuel line if you don’t swap out the metal fuel line. The are also some insulation and heat shields that are different between the two engines around the metal fuel lines. The V-6 and V-8 motor mounts are actually have different OEM numbers. They look alike but there must be some different rubber used. The engine compartment wiring harness the runs through the firewall is also different.